Who was the school bus driver who had raced in F1?
2017-08-23 19:50:52 UTC
Trying to recall an obituary of a chap who had raced (Lotus?) in F1 briefly, and had retired, eventually driving a modest school bus in Scotland. I may remember his name about 10 seconds after hitting "post", but just in case, --- anyone?
Sir Tim
2017-08-24 07:41:42 UTC
Trying to recall an obituary of a chap who had raced (Lotus?) in F1
briefly, and had retired, eventually driving a modest school bus in
Scotland. I may remember his name about 10 seconds after hitting "post",
but just in case, --- anyone?
I'm pretty sure you mean Cliff Allison. Lotus, yes. Scotland, no - it was
Cumbria.

His career ended in 1961 at, ironically, Spa.

http://www.oldracingcars.com/driver/Cliff_Allison
2017-08-25 15:31:28 UTC
Trying to recall an obituary of a chap who had raced (Lotus?) in F1
briefly, and had retired, eventually driving a modest school bus in
Scotland. I may remember his name about 10 seconds after hitting "post",
but just in case, --- anyone?
I'm pretty sure you mean Cliff Allison. Lotus, yes. Scotland, no - it was
Cumbria.
Thanks. Good to re-read Cliff's history.
As for CUMBRIA, my late aunt used to react very sharply if she heard the new name used. "Cumberland, you mean!" [Smack] She was also very dubious about the Cumberland-born TV presenter Melvyn Bragg: "Smooth bugger, him."
Sir Tim
2017-08-25 17:00:37 UTC
Trying to recall an obituary of a chap who had raced (Lotus?) in F1
briefly, and had retired, eventually driving a modest school bus in
Scotland. I may remember his name about 10 seconds after hitting "post",
but just in case, --- anyone?
I'm pretty sure you mean Cliff Allison. Lotus, yes. Scotland, no - it was
Cumbria.
Thanks. Good to re-read Cliff's history.
As for CUMBRIA, my late aunt used to react very sharply if she heard the
new name used. "Cumberland, you mean!" [Smack] She was also very dubious
about the Cumberland-born TV presenter Melvyn Bragg: "Smooth bugger, him."
Brough, where Cliff Allison came from, was actually in Westmorland, before
it was merged with Cumberland to become Cumbria (I think a bit of the West
Riding was that involved too).

In those days a contempt for the Arts was de rigeur for many Northerners.
2017-08-25 17:17:55 UTC
In those days a contempt for the Arts was de rigeur for many Northerners.
Monty Python did a reverse-snobbery sketch on "Miners Oop North":

Brian W Lawrence
2017-08-24 07:45:53 UTC
Trying to recall an obituary of a chap who had raced (Lotus?) in F1 briefly, and had retired, eventually driving a modest school bus in Scotland. I may remember his name about 10 seconds after hitting "post", but just in case, --- anyone?
Had to do some research - Cliff Allison

<http://www.oldracingcars.com/driver/Cliff_Allison>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Allison>

Also drove for Ferrari.

---
2017-08-24 13:54:00 UTC

Thank you, Tim and Brian. A lovely tale of a man 'retiring' to contented relative obscurity.
Sir Tim
2017-08-24 14:16:37 UTC
Thank you, Tim and Brian. A lovely tale of a man 'retiring' to contented
relative obscurity.
There is a nice appreciation of Cliff Allison by David Tremaine here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/cliff-allison-530349.html