Names and numbers
2017-05-13 09:30:24 UTC
I'm watching FP3, trying to decide if the clamp down on rules about the displaying of names and numbers has made identification easier.

Firstly, I think a lot of us who watch regularly are already picking up other clues already. You see a Merc with a predominantly yellow helmet - Hamilton.

Ferrari's numbers are now very visible. Driver names less so.

I suspect there are two concerns here - marshalls want to see numbers, spectators want to know who is in the car.

McLaren make the names easier. You can easily read the ALO on the side of Alonso's car.

Merc have number and abbreviated name on the fin. You can see the 44 on Ham's car. the HAM is less easily visible.

Haas have a very clear GRO visible on the fin of Grosjean's car, but I don't see the number from the side. Saubers have names on the fin and numbers on the side pod.

Most cars seem to have more easily readable numbers on the front. Merc have very good contrast and different colours - red for Hamilton, blue for Bottas.

I'm not sure that the side branding is that much if a help for the TV viewer. I just watched Hulkenberg go down a straight, the car is in shot the whole length of the straight, but you don't get to see much of the markings of the fin.
Bobster
2017-05-13 09:34:20 UTC
Have Force India made any changes? They were not impressed when FIA issued the clarification, saying that the space on the side of the cars was literally worth millions and already sold.
D Munz
2017-05-13 16:49:07 UTC
I'm watching FP3, trying to decide if the clamp down on rules about the displaying of names and numbers has made identification easier.
Have Force India made any changes? They were not impressed when FIA issued the clarification, saying that the space on the side of the cars was literally worth millions and already sold.
I don;t see how you can read anything on the pink blob...

And what about Ferrari? I could see the numbers but not the name or three letter code.

2017-05-13 17:08:09 UTC
Post by D Munz
I'm watching FP3, trying to decide if the clamp down on rules
about the displaying of names and numbers has made identification
easier.
Have Force India made any changes? They were not impressed when FIA
issued the clarification, saying that the space on the side of the
cars was literally worth millions and already sold.
I don;t see how you can read anything on the pink blob...
One photo from yesterday shows a fairly large brownish number in front
of the cockpit. Contrast is good but as the surface is almost exactly
horizontal visibility would be poor unless one were in a helicopter.
Post by D Munz
And what about Ferrari? I could see the numbers but not the name or three letter code.
I can't find the names on either the Ferrari or Force India.
Any chief-of-staff who isn’t prepared to confiscate
Trump’s Android, delete his Twitter account, and crush
sedatives into his food will fail to produce order.
- Eric Levitz
Bobster
2017-05-14 03:27:46 UTC
Post by D Munz
I'm watching FP3, trying to decide if the clamp down on rules about the displaying of names and numbers has made identification easier.
Have Force India made any changes? They were not impressed when FIA issued the clarification, saying that the space on the side of the cars was literally worth millions and already sold.
I don;t see how you can read anything on the pink blob...
And what about Ferrari? I could see the numbers but not the name or three letter code.
Yes. Approaches and positioning vary. I don't think I see much change to the Williams or the Force Indias - maybe bigger numbers on the front, but nothing on the side. Sauber have numbers on the part of the side pod where it narrows towards the rear wheels. Merc initially showed fins with numbers, acronyms (HAM or BOT) and flags, but now have bigger numbers and no acronyms. McLaren have kept their fin for sponsors and put the acronyms on the air box - I didn't see the numbers.

Thinking back, you used to see numbers on the sides of the cars. I did a rough check using google images

1988 - numbers usually prominent on the rear wing end plates, which are not carrying a lot of branding. Nose numbers are low down and prominent.

1995 - nose numbers are starting to move up the nose and the noses are getting higher off the ground, so the numbers are less visible from some angles as the part of the car they are on is pretty much parallel to the ground. Side numbers still on the end plates, but lower down (may be exaggerated by rule changes forcing the wings down) and the end plates are carrying more signage.

By 2005 there's nothing on the sides of the cars. The end plates are smaller (again, probably rule changes) and given over to sponsor logos. The front numbers are now high up on the cars, technically there but not particularly visible.
bra
2017-05-13 16:56:44 UTC
Some 15+ years ago, a 6-inch oval sticker on a Williams cost 300,000 pounds for a year. Has anyone got more recent figures?
Bruce Hoult
2017-05-13 19:42:02 UTC
Makes sense. There's only so much space available, and they'd want to raise a hundred times that, if possible.
Bobster
2017-05-13 09:50:47 UTC
Williams have put very clear markings on the side of their crew's headphones. You can spot Paddy Lowe a mile off.
D Munz
2017-05-14 16:31:07 UTC
There is a report that FI has been summoned to explain themselves. Not sure what the penalty would be. Perhaps a fine equal to the cost of the space to a sponsor.

2017-05-14 17:41:04 UTC
Post by D Munz
There is a report that FI has been summoned to explain themselves.
Not sure what the penalty would be. Perhaps a fine equal to the cost
of the space to a sponsor.
"A fine of € 25,000 is imposed.

"However, in view of the following mitigating circumstances, the fine is
suspended for a period of 12 months pending no further infringements of
this nature.

"The mitigating circumstances are;

"1. The Competitor was not challenged about the numbers prior to the
race

"2. The numbers (size, colour and location) were not changed during the
event

"3. The Competitor has offered to work with the FIA and rectify the
situation immediately"