Farina, Brabham, Hill, Hulme, Rosberg ... and ... Bottas?
2017-05-08 18:45:51 UTC
https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/historic/2017/5/Five-F1-legends-that-turned-their-first-win-into-their-first-championship/
Bobster
2017-05-09 04:29:08 UTC
https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/historic/2017/5/Five-F1-legends-that-turned-their-first-win-into-their-first-championship/
And where's the list of guys who took that first win and then DIDN'T take the championship. Maldonado would be on that list. Verstappen didn't do it. Alesi, Kovalainen, Kubica, Panis...

He will be a bit of a legend IF he turns that first win into a championship, but there's a lot of racing before that happens.
Brian W Lawrence
2017-05-09 09:29:54 UTC
https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/historic/2017/5/Five-F1-legends-that-turned-their-first-win-into-their-first-championship/
And where's the list of guys who took that first win and then DIDN'T take the championship. Maldonado would be on that list.
Verstappen didn't do it. Alesi, Kovalainen, Kubica, Panis...
I'll state the obvious - Bottas was the 107th driver to win a race that
was part of the WDC (includes 9 who won the Indy 500, 1950-60). Apart
from the five mentioned, the other 102 did not win the WDC in the same
season. The five who did that required far fewer attempts to achieve
their first win:

Farina 1st
Brabham 17th
Hulme 17th
G Hill 33rd
Rosberg 49th

---
http://www.avg.com
Halmyre
2017-05-10 06:51:26 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/historic/2017/5/Five-F1-legends-that-turned-their-first-win-into-their-first-championship/
And where's the list of guys who took that first win and then DIDN'T take the championship. Maldonado would be on that list.
Verstappen didn't do it. Alesi, Kovalainen, Kubica, Panis...
I'll state the obvious - Bottas was the 107th driver to win a race that
was part of the WDC (includes 9 who won the Indy 500, 1950-60). Apart
from the five mentioned, the other 102 did not win the WDC in the same
season. The five who did that required far fewer attempts to achieve
Farina 1st
Brabham 17th
Hulme 17th
G Hill 33rd
Rosberg 49th
That set me wondering who has taken longer to achieve their first win, so I went looking, and there's only ten:

WEBBER Mark 130
BARRICHELLO Rubens 124
TRULLI Jarno 117
BUTTON Jenson 113
ROSBERG Nico 111
FISICHELLA Giancarlo 110
HAKKINEN Mika 96
BOUTSEN Thierry 95
ALESI Jean 91
IRVINE Eddie 81

Three of them went on to become World Champion.

http://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiques/pilote/victoire/gp-avant.aspx
Bruce Hoult
And several others came within a few points of it.
bra
2017-05-13 15:01:39 UTC
Post by Halmyre
That set me wondering who has taken longer to achieve their first win,
WEBBER Mark 130
BARRICHELLO Rubens 124
TRULLI Jarno 117
BUTTON Jenson 113
ROSBERG Nico 111
FISICHELLA Giancarlo 110
HAKKINEN Mika 96
BOUTSEN Thierry 95
ALESI Jean 91
IRVINE Eddie 81
Sometimes it takes years for the simplest penny to drop; and just now looking at your list, it struck me finally just how HARD racing is. One race is HARD.

Yes, you may love racing, blah, blah, but just now I imagined not winning 90 or 100 times in a row, not winning: having other drivers beat me every single time. I've always known I'm not a racer, but now I understand very clearly why ---- I could not live in this kind of competition.

Drivers like to quote "You wouldn't be there if you didn't think you could win." But, being those drivers who thought they could win, and waiting 100 races, or for ever ----.

Someone will say "Ah, but X loved every minute of it", and I will find it hard to believe.
Bigbird
2017-05-09 13:15:39 UTC
Post by Bobster
And where's the list of guys who took that first win and then DIDN'T
take the championship.
The Tautological Times?

or perhaps in

The Prolix Post?