Sainz to Renault
2017-09-10 14:57:13 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
Stephen Thomas Cole
2017-09-10 16:08:35 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits and
starts.
--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
a425couple
2017-09-10 16:34:44 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits and
starts.
Perhaps a "nice chap",,, but in F1 when your team mate
picks up 34 points, and you have earned NONE! ----

Unless you are bringing a LOT of money to the team,
you probably ought to be prepared for a hook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship
Stephen Thomas Cole
2017-09-10 17:04:05 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits and
starts.
Perhaps a "nice chap",,, but in F1 when your team mate
picks up 34 points, and you have earned NONE! ----
Unless you are bringing a LOT of money to the team,
you probably ought to be prepared for a hook.
Mate, I'm English, I can't help but highly value a chap's depth of
chappishness. :) And he's had some rotten luck, let's be fair. I know, you
make your own luck but, fuck my old boots, the poor bugger's been fucked
giddy by things outside of his control more often than not.
Sir Tim
2017-09-10 18:07:14 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by a425couple
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits and
starts.
Perhaps a "nice chap",,, but in F1 when your team mate
picks up 34 points, and you have earned NONE! ----
Unless you are bringing a LOT of money to the team,
you probably ought to be prepared for a hook.
Mate, I'm English, I can't help but highly value a chap's depth of
chappishness. :)
+1
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
And he's had some rotten luck, let's be fair. I know, you
make your own luck but, fuck my old boots, the poor bugger's been fucked
giddy by things outside of his control more often than not.
True, but that's life and F1 life is very tough indeed. A newcomer has to
make his mark early or he's out (unless, of course, he brings a *lot* of
money with him).

I struggle a bit to understand what is in it for Toro Rosso - they lose
Sainz and get saddled with Honda - but I expect that, as always, the answer
is $$$$$$$.
2017-09-11 10:38:42 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by a425couple
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits
and starts.
Perhaps a "nice chap",,, but in F1 when your team mate
picks up 34 points, and you have earned NONE! ----
Unless you are bringing a LOT of money to the team,
you probably ought to be prepared for a hook.
Mate, I'm English, I can't help but highly value a chap's depth of
chappishness. :)
+1
+1 more.
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
And he's had some rotten luck, let's be fair. I know, you
make your own luck but, fuck my old boots, the poor bugger's been
fucked giddy by things outside of his control more often than not.
True, but that's life and F1 life is very tough indeed. A newcomer
has to make his mark early or he's out (unless, of course, he brings
a *lot* of money with him).
Jolyon's too nice a guy. Sainz has been doing rather well and he's a right
arsehole to anyone potentially between him and a WDC point.
Post by Sir Tim
I struggle a bit to understand what is in it for Toro Rosso - they
lose Sainz and get saddled with Honda - but I expect that, as always,
the answer is $$$$$$$.
I think there's the potential that if the Honda PU comes good then, with
Torro Rosso already there RBR will be on it like Texasgate on a drunk
schoolboy.

2017-09-11 11:10:56 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by a425couple
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits
and starts.
Perhaps a "nice chap",,, but in F1 when your team mate
picks up 34 points, and you have earned NONE! ----
Unless you are bringing a LOT of money to the team,
you probably ought to be prepared for a hook.
Mate, I'm English, I can't help but highly value a chap's depth of
chappishness. :) And he's had some rotten luck, let's be fair. I
know, you make your own luck but, fuck my old boots, the poor
bugger's been fucked giddy by things outside of his control more
often than not.
+1 - in spades.

He's a very capable driver (if not flashy) and is well able to bring in
points consistantly given a halfway decent car. Unfortunately his luck has
been worse than Verstappens, just not as well publicised or noticed as he's
not been at the pointy end of the grid.

About sixx races ago Brundle said if this carries on his Dad should ask for
his money back - and it *has* carried on.

2017-09-11 15:12:23 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits and
starts.
Saward speculates that Palmer might land at Williams in 2018, replacing
Massa.
It is never a good idea to elect people who promise as many
as six impossible things before breakfast. - Simon Johnson
~misfit~
2017-09-12 01:47:44 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Sir Tim
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Poor old Jolyon. He seems a nice chap, and capable enough in fits and
starts.
Saward speculates that Palmer might land at Williams in 2018,
replacing Massa.
That would be a good result. It'd be a shame to see a solid talent denied a
fair go due to an lengthy run of bad luck.

(Yeah I know life's not fair - I'm constantly reminded of it every time I
move...)

2017-09-13 02:37:56 UTC
(Yeah I know life's not fair - I'm constantly reminded of it every time I
move...)
Boo fucking hoo.
It's called karma, you cunt.

a425couple
2017-09-10 16:27:08 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Well, it has seemed to me for the last couple of years
that Carlos Sainz Jr. has been quite efficient in
picking up lose points that others carelessly left
out lose on the track.
And, at this point, promotion from Torro Rosso
to the main Red Bull team looks unlikely.

Renault could noticeably improve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Sainz_Jr.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship
(Sainz now at #9 with 36 points, ahead of Massa & Stroll,
and Hulkenberg, and both Haas team mates.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship
~misfit~
2017-09-11 10:33:39 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
I see that Autosport *do* mention the 'McLaren Supply' of gearboxes for the
Honda engine. Sauber cited this issue when they declined the Honda PU. They
said that with McLaren not using the Honda PU themselves there's not much
incentive for them to continue development on their Honda gearbox...

2017-09-11 15:27:52 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
Joe Saward has more to say on the subject here:

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/09/11/the-sainz-story/

He seems a bit miffed that he did not get the story (he was confidently
predicting that *Perez* would go to Renault) but suggests, interestingly,
that Palmer might go to Williams as apparently the team is obliged by its
sponsor to have one driver over 25 and this precludes the younger hotshots.
2017-09-12 01:58:56 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/09/11/the-sainz-story/
He seems a bit miffed that he did not get the story (he was
confidently predicting that *Perez* would go to Renault) but
suggests, interestingly, that Palmer might go to Williams as
apparently the team is obliged by its sponsor to have one driver over
25 and this precludes the younger hotshots.
If Saward is right then the only part of the musical chairs I personally
don't like is Perez staying on at Force India (or whatever they'll be called
next year) and trying to keep on bullying Ocon. IMO if Ocon were in a team
as de facto number 1 driver which backed him 100% he'll be capable of great
things. Think Verstappen without the ego. However if he has to spend another
year sharing a garage with the surly Mexican it could do irreparable damage
to his career.

I won't be sorry to see Wehrlein go. He's never impressed me and seems to
have a bad case of the 'entitleds'. He should go back to DTM. ;)