Hamilton Most Popular
2017-05-27 06:39:59 UTC
Lewis Hamilton fans' most popular driver, Ferrari wins teams vote
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129785

Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari have been voted Formula 1's most-popular
driver and team in the Motorsport Network's 2017 Global Fan Survey.

The results of the F1 survey were revealed on Friday, ahead of the
Monaco Grand Prix, based on more than 215,000 responses.

Hamilton edged Fernando Alonso to be named F1's most-popular driver,
receiving 20.7% of the votes, more than double the level he recorded in
the equivalent 2015 survey.

The three-time world champion was named by 47% of British fans as their
favourite.

Alonso continued to receive tremendous support despite McLaren-Honda's
on-track difficulties to gain 18.3% of the vote, ahead of Ferrari pair
Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel, while Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo
also reached double figures.

Most popular F1 drivers

The 10 fan favourites according to our global survery

Driver Vote
1 Lewis Hamilton 20.7%
2 Fernando Alonso 18.3%
3 Kimi Raikkonen 14.3%
4 Sebastian Vettel 13.4%
5 Daniel Ricciardo 12.1%
6 Max Verstappen 7.4%
7 Felipe Massa 1.8%
8 Romain Grosjean 1.1%
9 Valtteri Bottas 1.0%
10 Nico Hulkenberg 0.8%

Ferrari's return to winning form has helped lead to a growth in support,
extending its advantage as the most popular team on the grid.

It was backed by 31.9% of those surveyed, which is almost twice as much
as its nearest rivals.

Mercedes was the big mover, climbing from fifth to second from the 2015
results and enjoying 16.2% of the backing.

Although Mercedes was behind Ferrari on a global basis, it was the most
popular team in Britain with 30.7% of the vote.

Most popular F1 teams

The five favourite teams as voted for by the fans

Team Vote
1 Ferrari 31.9%
2 Mercedes 16.2%
3 McLaren 15.8%
4 Red Bull 14.1%
5 Williams 5%
Martin Harran
2017-05-27 11:23:09 UTC
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
Bruce Hoult
He's quiet, unassuming, hauls in the points, and probably still has poles and wins in him.
build
Nah, he's too old to get a pole, unless there's a Monégasque model dancing on it.
Mower Man

And ... more shit
Martin Harran
2017-05-27 17:33:27 UTC
On Sat, 27 May 2017 06:01:53 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Hoult
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
He's quiet, unassuming, hauls in the points, and probably still has poles and wins in him.
Good reasons for Ferrari holding on to him but I can't really see them
as reasons for him to be more *popular* than Vettel or Riciardo or
Verstappen.

I'm sure Brian will be along soon to tell us the significance of 128
races between poles :)
~misfit~

He must have been listening to me :)
Sir Tim
2017-05-27 17:04:52 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
You must be feeling a bit stupid this afternoon :-)

Go Kimi!
Martin Harran
2017-05-27 17:30:17 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
You must be feeling a bit stupid this afternoon :-)
This is exactly what annoys me about Kimi - most of the time he seems
to be coasting (no pun intended) and then once in a while he seems to
wake up and shows the brilliance of which he is capable :(
Go Kimi!
Sir Tim
2017-05-27 20:42:18 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
And, of course, "just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"

I think perhaps it is Kimi's sang froid and absolute refusal to promote
himself that so appeals to Europeans, but not perhaps Americans.

By all accounts Kimi has a very active social life - any man who can appear
at a speedboat race (and win it) dressed as a gorilla cannot be totally
lacking in personality.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/161882/raikkonen-appears-in-gorilla-suit-at-boat-race/
2017-05-28 00:12:20 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
And, of course, "just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"
When his engineer got on the radio, all pumped up to tell him he'd secured
pole position Kimi replied "Oh good" in his deadpan way. It's refreshing
that there's no "Yeeehaaa"ing. "Yes!"ing and finger-raising with Kimi
Post by Sir Tim
I think perhaps it is Kimi's sang froid and absolute refusal to
promote himself that so appeals to Europeans, but not perhaps
Americans.
By all accounts Kimi has a very active social life - any man who can
appear at a speedboat race (and win it) dressed as a gorilla cannot
be totally lacking in personality.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/161882/raikkonen-appears-in-gorilla-suit-at-boat-race/
He is most certainly one of the more intersting characters driving in F1
today.

Kimi is the modern day King of Cool
Bobster
2017-05-27 21:14:40 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
Popularity isn't all about numbers and performance. Raikkonen's got this couldn't give a shit attitude that has a certain attraction. I'm not a fan, really, but it does seem to me that he treats the twin imposters both the same, and I am impressed by it.

I do wonder if he ever was the driver that he was. When he's had a team mate who is unquestionably out of the top drawer he's usually come off second best - and shrugged it off.
Sir Tim
2017-05-27 22:21:04 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
I struggle to understand Kimi's ongoing popularity when he has had
such a mediocre performance over the last 4 years and has an almost
total absence of personality - notwithstanding his superb "I was
having a shit" response to Brundle's comment about him missing the
Scumacher presentation :)
Popularity isn't all about numbers and performance. Raikkonen's got this
couldn't give a shit attitude that has a certain attraction. I'm not a
fan, really, but it does seem to me that he treats the twin imposters
both the same, and I am impressed by it.
I do wonder if he ever was the driver that he was. When he's had a team
mate who is unquestionably out of the top drawer he's usually come off
second best - and shrugged it off.
Are you seriously suggesting that Kimi was not "out of the top drawer"? How
short our memories are! Were Schumacher and Alonso "out of the top drawer"?
Because during his McLaren and early Ferrari years Kimi was well capable
of beating either of them. And he won at Spa - surely one of the greatest
tests of a driver - 4 years of 5.

Sadly he then seemed to lose his enthusiasm for F1 and has never been quite
the same since his return from the world of rallying. But let's not forget
that he was once the crème de la crème, and even now he's a force to be
reckoned with, as his blindingly quick middle sector showed today.
2017-05-28 03:27:56 UTC
Are you seriously suggesting that Kimi was not "out of the top drawer"? How
short our memories are! Were Schumacher and Alonso "out of the top drawer"?
Because during his McLaren and early Ferrari years Kimi was well capable
of beating either of them. And he won at Spa - surely one of the greatest
tests of a driver - 4 years of 5.
Sadly he then seemed to lose his enthusiasm for F1 and has never been quite
the same since his return from the world of rallying. But let's not forget
that he was once the crème de la crème, and even now he's a force to be
reckoned with, as his blindingly quick middle sector showed today.
I am.

For me, he's just a step down from the very top. When he's had Vettel or Alonso as a team mate he's not looked as good as them. He'll do well at times, but then Berger would sometimes out qualify Senna. But over a season...

The first time he looked like being able to seriously take the fight to Schumacher was 2005. But it's illusory. The tyre rules changed that year and they greatly punished the Bridgestone-shod Ferraris.

Equipment makes a difference too. In 2007 Massa could take the fight to Alonso and the wonder rookie Hamilton. In 2008 he nearly won the championship, clearly having the measure of Raikkonen. Two things
1) Raikkonen never really asserted himself over Massa
2) Massa was good enough to take the fight to Alonso or Hamilton? Or was the Ferrari the better car?

In the first half of 2009, up until Massa's nasty accident, Massa was out performing Raikkonen.

In the same car he did not perform as strongly as first Alonso and then Vettel.

I think he's good, but he's not at the top of the class.
Duddie
2017-05-30 08:59:24 UTC
I think it does not matter at all to Kimmi. He has his own way of humour (gloomy one) where there is Verttel with his love of this Monty Python style of British humour and they get along well as they can indulge into each other's humour. Even Lewis being British can't apprehend the understanding of British humour as well as those two blokes do. They just have piss on the spectacle while being one of the best racers.