OT Indy cars: Short track / quick lap
bra
2017-07-09 03:39:33 UTC
Will Power ran a 17-second lap at Iowa Speedway. The old mind boggles.

"Ah, this must be Turn 1 again ----."
Bobster
2017-07-09 06:12:32 UTC
And here was me thinking that the Redbull Ring is getting a bit short, soon they'll be turning laps in one minute and then it will get silly.
bra
2017-07-09 16:21:51 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by bra
Will Power ran a 17-second lap at Iowa Speedway. The old mind boggles.
"Ah, this must be Turn 1 again ----."
And here was me thinking that the Redbull Ring is getting a bit short, soon they'll be turning laps in one minute and then it will get silly.
One minute laps are not too silly. Perhaps 17-sec laps are.

My local 3/10 mile oval is being lapped in 11 seconds by the big sprint cars ---to sit and watch sixteen of them do it wheel-to-wheel is quite stimulating.

Someone said "Like fighter jets flying round your living room."
Bigbird
2017-07-09 16:30:50 UTC
I'd be worried they'd hit my yacht.
a425couple
2017-07-09 18:53:40 UTC
Post by bra
Post by Bobster
Post by bra
Will Power ran a 17-second lap at Iowa Speedway. The old mind boggles.
"Ah, this must be Turn 1 again ----."
And here was me thinking that the Redbull Ring is getting a bit short, soon they'll be turning laps in one minute and then it will get silly.
One minute laps are not too silly. Perhaps 17-sec laps are.
My local 3/10 mile oval is being lapped in 11 seconds by the big sprint cars ---to sit and watch sixteen of them do it wheel-to-wheel is quite stimulating.
Someone said "Like fighter jets flying round your living room."
Here is what that comment brings to mind

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey The wheel of death on motorcycle

or, when it all goes bad:

Ringling Brothers 8 motorcycles accident

Meanwhile, if you are interested in going to Mission Raceway
on September 2, 3, & 4, I would be happy to put you on my
pit passes.
At least 6 different races on the afternoons of all 3 days.
(Offer good to anyone reading this who is interested.)
a425couple
2017-07-10 16:12:00 UTC
Post by bra
Post by Bobster
Post by bra
Will Power ran a 17-second lap at Iowa Speedway. The old mind boggles.
"Ah, this must be Turn 1 again ----."
And here was me thinking that the Redbull Ring is getting a bit short, soon they'll be turning laps in one minute and then it will get silly.
One minute laps are not too silly. Perhaps 17-sec laps are.
My local 3/10 mile oval is being lapped in 11 seconds by the big sprint cars ---to sit and watch sixteen of them do it wheel-to-wheel is quite stimulating.
Someone said "Like fighter jets flying round your living room."
Here is another story you might appreciate:

Phil Scott 1st Sitting Governor To Win Vermont Stock Stock Car Race: AP
Scott won the 50-lap feature Thursday at Barre's Thunder Road, winning
$1,200. He's the all-time winningest driver at the track.

By Associated Press (Patch National Staff) - Updated July 7, 2017 2:26 pm ET

Vermont's stock-car-racing governor is back in victory lane.

Republican Gov. Phil Scott won the 50-lap feature Thursday at Barre's
Thunder Road, taking home a total of $1,200.

Thunder Road @ThunderRoadVT
***@GovPhilScott is victorious on Premium Mortgage Night at Thunder Road!
Scott, a part-time racecar driver, is the all-time winningest driver in
the top division at Thunder Road. The win was his 30th and his first
since becoming governor in January. (For more Across America news, click
here to sign up for real-time news alerts. If you have an iPhone, click
here to get the free Patch iPhone app.)

He can now add to his list of accomplishments that he is the first
sitting governor to win a Vermont stock car race.

Scott easily won two preliminary heats Thursday before starting the
feature in the pole position at the head of the pack. He led for the
entire race.

Scott previously served three two-year terms as Vermont's part-time
lieutenant governor.

Photos credit: Wilson Ring, Associated Press

https://patch.com/us/across-america/phil-scott-1st-sitting-governor-win-vermont-stock-stock-car-race-ap

Philip B. Scott is not real old, but he is
'mature' (born August 4, 1958).