Where there's smoke...
2018-04-08 08:36:18 UTC
So what is up with all the smoke around the Ferrari garages? On Sky yesterday, Croft was suggesting that it must be from some other piece of kit they were firing up, because you never saw the smoke emerge from where the cars actually were, and that sometimes it's a several seconds ahead of the car moving. Brundle countered that there's no reason to fire up a generator or whatever it is whenever you are about to start the motor - you'd either not need it or have it running all the time.

They then discussed that maybe Ferrari have some kind of venting system that extracts smoke from the back of the cars and ejects it somewhere else.

There's been no report of smoke from other garages where Ferrari engines are run. Does this support the original assertion that it's not the engine itself that smokes? Or might it be that Ferrari start up in a different mode or are using some additive.

I wonder if there's a case for the stewards to intervene because the smoke is thick enough that it might create a safety problem.
geoff
2018-04-08 09:57:09 UTC
[...]
I reckon it is done on purpose to mask something else .

Interesting. A bit of magician's misdirection?
News
White smoke, new pope...
~misfit~
2018-04-08 11:59:27 UTC
[...]
I don't think it is. I think it's an extractor attached to the rear crash
structure of the Ferrari to suck the crankcase gasses out of the garage so
the mechanics don't get asphyxiated.

<opinion> The other Ferrari-engined cars don't do it /as much/ as they don't
start them with the dry sump 'wet'. That's a trick that I think Ferrari are
doing so that the sensor in the oil tank is actually recording (and
'zeroing' at) less oil than there really is in the system at start-up. The
problem with doing that is that, for the first minute or so of running that
it takes for the scavenge pumps to clear the oil from the sump the
crankshaft and rods are vapourising some and turning it to 'smoke'.
</opinion>

Maybe. I've been trying to work out why it might happen and that's the best
I can come up with. Untill I hear different I think it's the most likely
answer.

2018-04-08 17:06:56 UTC
[...]
We got some detail in this race. Though I have no idea what it means :-O

Pre-race Horner was saying that the Ferraris smoke during the race, that
drivers have reported having to go through their tear offs more quickly than usual when behind a Ferrari engined car.

And under the lights we could see constant smoke from the back of the Ferraris and from the Haas cars.
geoff
2018-04-09 01:38:59 UTC
[...]
Yeah caught that - not smoke but vapor.

2018-04-08 12:22:41 UTC
I wonder if there's a case for the stewards to intervene because the
smoke is thick enough that it might create a safety problem.
I think I heard/read somewhere that Charlie is okay with it.
2018-04-08 12:51:13 UTC
I wonder if there's a case for the stewards to intervene because the
smoke is thick enough that it might create a safety problem.
I think I heard/read somewhere that Charlie is okay with it.
Charlie, that guy sitting far away in behind glass, that Charlie?

2018-04-08 12:59:23 UTC
I wonder if there's a case for the stewards to intervene because the
smoke is thick enough that it might create a safety problem.
I think I heard/read somewhere that Charlie is okay with it.
Of course he is. It's a red car. Liberty are okay with continuing to pay
Ferrari their bonus for just showing up past 2021 so Charlie's not going to
rock the boat, I think he likes his job.

2018-04-08 18:29:04 UTC
[...]
Quite a few of the cars were spewing stuff out the back. The Haas in particular seemed to have a constant trail of something out the exhaust.

I'd think they would all be worried about whatever it is slicking up the track.

Darryl Johnson
2018-04-08 18:57:16 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Bobster
[...]
I find it difficult to believe that the Ferrari engines can vent that
much smoke (oil, one assumes) and still be within the oil usage limits
imposed by the rules.