Track corner names or numbers
2018-07-06 09:11:37 UTC
To me turn 1 is not a substitute for "Abbey" and Turn 15 is definitely not a suitable substitute for the mighty "Stowe" corner and the thrilling "Maggotts, Becketts, Chapel" can have no substitute. Or am I the only bloke who can't remember which bloody corner turn x is? Names are so much easier to remember and apart from that aspect names incite passion and excitement so much more than boring bloody numbers. Anyone agree? or are numbers better in this digital age? Hopefully I'll get some sane responses.

BTW, this subject came about as turn 1 will apparently be a DRS open corner and I had to mentally figure out which corner it was, it's Abbey which was flat-out and the DRS will be deactivated after Farm into Village which will be quite interesting to watch in FP and particularly qually as it will mean a faster lap. In race trim when following, sadly they will probably have to close the DRS into Abbey.

OK, I'll put my soap box away now and watch free practice.

beers,
2018-07-06 21:11:46 UTC
To me turn 1 is not a substitute for "Abbey" and Turn 15 is definitely
not a suitable substitute for the mighty "Stowe" corner and the thrilling
"Maggotts, Becketts, Chapel" can have no substitute. Or am I the only
bloke who can't remember which bloody corner turn x is? Names are so much
easier to remember and apart from that aspect names incite passion and
excitement so much more than boring bloody numbers. Anyone agree? or are
numbers better in this digital age? Hopefully I'll get some sane responses.
Quite surprised by this as I had you down as someone more interested in the
technical side of F1: strategy, tyre selection etc rather than, like me, an
out and out romantic who loves the mano-a-mano, gladiatorial side of the
sport. As such I thought you might welcome the (perhaps) more logical use
of numbered corners. Nevertheless I entirely agree with you. To talk about
“Turn 13” at Spa would mean nothing to me but mention “Pouhon” and I can
immediately visualize that wonderful, double-apex left hander.

Of course modern aerodynamics have reduced the challenge of many of these
legendary corners - Eau Rouge, for example, is now taken flat - and there
has been a tendency to insert chicanes which ruin the flow into fast
corners (e.g. at Barcelona). I suppose that even what was probably the most
feared (with much justification) corner on any circuit, anywhere, the Masta
Kink, would be a doddle for modern F1 cars.

I wonder how today’s cars would manage the Flugplatz though?
2018-07-06 22:45:36 UTC
On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 2:11:47 PM UTC-7, Sir Tim wrote:

"Side by side approaching Woodcote! Into Woodcote, I can't believe it, they're almost touching, now out of Woodcote and I think it's going to be --------"

Woodcote was put there by God to sort out His creations, but Man later ruined it with a chicane.

On two wheels, Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene showed what was possible at Woodcote: if you are impatient, scroll to 9mins and be surprised by the ending. Better to watch the full 10mins. These are 1979 bikes with relatively low grip and lean angles.

Sir Tim
2018-07-07 07:54:57 UTC
Woodcote was put there by God to sort out His creations, but Man later
ruined it with a chicane.
+1
Ronnie Peterson going through Woodcote in the March 711 was a sight I shall
never forget.

I think what gave those old corners their awesome reputation was that the
limits were so fine: a few revs too many spelt disaster but too few meant
that you lost speed all the way down the next straight. That tended to sort
the men from the boys.

I don’t think the fear factor enters into Grand Prix racing much anymore,
partly due to modern aerodynamics and partly to the huge improvements in
safety. In the “good old days” many drivers died as a result of totally
inadequate safety precautions by circuit owners - Roger Williamson was a
classic case.
2018-07-07 15:10:52 UTC
Woodcote was put there by God to sort out His creations, but Man later
ruined it with a chicane.
+1
Ronnie Peterson going through Woodcote in the March 711 was a sight I shall
never forget.
I watched a saloon race on the Club circuit, in which a Galaxie understeered into the (then) railway sleepers + earth bank at Woodcote.
The word T H U M P barely describes it.

I now wonder why Galaxie-class saloons were on the club circuit??
Bruce Hoult
2018-07-07 02:40:39 UTC
[...]
I could probably make a reasonable stab at drawing the layout about half the circuits, but I doubt I could add names to the corners of any of them outside of Silverstone, Spa, and Monaco. Ok, and a couple each at Monza and Suzuka.

Counting corners is for the most part easier, though I'd want a few anchoring points e.g. a cheat sheet with the corner numbers at the end of major straights.
M2T
2018-07-07 14:40:46 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
[...]
The way the cameras are arranged and used (too many closeups) around the
circuits often means we don't have too much of a clue where the cars are
anyway. Do the Tilke circuits have names for corners?