OT: rules make you work harder
2017-10-01 01:08:49 UTC
Thank heavens for restrictive rules.

Top fuel pilot Clay Millican just passed the 1,000ft from a standing start in 3.631 seconds. His 330-foot time was 2 seconds from zero.

NHRA Rules prevented his car from having ANY kind of electronic / computer feedback in the engine and transmission --- only data recording. The 44-amp magnetos are required to retard spark by as much as 20 degrees during a run, from a weird 60 deg. btdc down to 35 btdc. Spark can last up to 26 degrees --- a bit like your welder

Remember Roots-type superchargers from the 1880's when the Roots brothers devised a crude two-lobe positive-displacement blower for mine shafts? That's what the rules require dragsters to use, even though there are far more efficient and powerful designs available for over 50 years.

The engines could be much bigger, but rules keep them to 500 cu.in. As it is, cylinder pressures of 13,000 psi have been recorded in top fuel dragster engines. They used to run 98% nitro, but rules limit them to 90%.

Imagine a world with no rules.
~misfit~
2017-10-01 02:35:26 UTC
[...]
You mean imagine anarchy?

2017-10-01 03:09:03 UTC
Thank heavens for restrictive rules.
Imagine a world with no rules.
You mean imagine anarchy?
I didn't write "imagine no rules" in a positive way!

I have Sydney Smith's immortal question on my wall:
WHAT WOULD LIFE BE WITHOUT ARITHMETIC, BUT A SCENE OF HORROR?

Mind you, the good reverend further endeared himself to me by saying:
Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea.

So NO: top fuel dragster racing without limiting rules might well be a "SCENE OF HORROR" for driver and spectators.
~misfit~
2017-10-02 04:44:05 UTC
Thank heavens for restrictive rules.
Imagine a world with no rules.
You mean imagine anarchy?
I didn't write "imagine no rules" in a positive way!
WHAT WOULD LIFE BE WITHOUT ARITHMETIC, BUT A SCENE OF HORROR?
Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it
exist? I am glad I was not born before tea.
So NO: top fuel dragster racing without limiting rules might well be
a "SCENE OF HORROR" for driver and spectators.
Yep - probably best driven and watched remotely.