Monza!
2017-08-30 18:11:22 UTC
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and 3rd best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the field.
Bigbird
2017-08-30 19:18:15 UTC
Like they did this weekend???
Dan the Man
2017-08-31 15:27:04 UTC
It will be interesting to see if Ferrari's home-field advantage amounts to a more competitive race, something like Spa.
Mower Man
2017-08-31 19:47:51 UTC
And the best track is?
~misfit~
2017-08-31 20:07:45 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by John
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and
3rd best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the
field.
And the best track is?
If I had to say there was a track on the current calander better than those
two I'd think maybe Suzuka or COTA. Then again I don't rate Monza that
highly...

2017-09-01 09:24:46 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by John
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and
3rd best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the
field.
And the best track is?
If I had to say there was a track on the current calendar better than those
two I'd think maybe Suzuka or COTA. Then again I don't rate Monza that
highly...
I like Monza for its surroundings, its history and the sheer exuberance
of the Tifosi but, that aside, no, perhaps it's not a great track.

The best tracks have at least one famously challenging corner. Spa has
Eau Rouge, Suzuka 130R. Silverstone used to have Woodcote until that was
emasculated but has now developed the Maggots/Beckets/Chapel complex
into a world class sequence. Turn 8 at Istanbul (I don't think it has
name) was also a great corner.
Monza used to have the Curva Grande but that challenge was ruined by the
introduction of the Rettifilo chicane (now, more anonymously, the
Variante Una). The Parabolica is famous but probably not that
challenging for modern F1 cars

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
Sir Tim
2017-09-01 07:07:46 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by John
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and 3rd
best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the field.
And the best track is?
I think John is being a bit of a tease.
For me the only possible candidate, apart from Spa, would be Suzuka. John
loves wet races so maybe that is s his thinking (not the rain is unknown at
Spa of course!)
2017-09-01 08:09:45 UTC
Monaco, it's not even close.
Sir Tim
2017-09-01 08:20:22 UTC
Post by John
Post by Mower Man
Post by John
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and 3rd
best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the field.
And the best track is?
Monaco, it's not even close.
Monaco only remains on the calendar because of its superb surroundings and
the fact that some of the richest people in the world like to be seen
there. I don't deny the glamour of the event, but the track is rubbish.
2017-09-01 08:24:46 UTC
Monaco only remains on the calendar because of its superb surroundings and
the fact that some of the richest people in the world like to be seen
there. I don't deny the glamour of the event, but the track is rubbish.
If somebody came along now, saying they wanted to stage an F1 race, and offered a Monaco, Liberty and FIA would only say no after they'd stopped laughing.

It's an anachronism.

I do think it is not a total bust as a race because it's so stupidly tight and punishes small errors very heavily. It's entertaining, but the drama usually comes because somebody clipped a wall or a pit stop is fouled up, not because it's a track that lends itself to great racing.

Opinions such as yours are widespread and have been around. In his book, Mosley quotes Enzo Ferrari as saying that Monaco should be off the calendar because it's a joke.
Bigbird
The track is excellent... for a time trial, a bit "rubbish" for a race.
Sir Tim
2017-09-01 10:19:14 UTC
Post by John
Post by John
Post by Mower Man
And the best track is?
Monaco, it's not even close.
Monaco only remains on the calendar because of its superb
surroundings and the fact that some of the richest people in the
world like to be seen there. I don't deny the glamour of the event,
but the track is rubbish.
The track is excellent... for a time trial, a bit "rubbish" for a race.
Yes, a high degree of skill and precision is required of the driver, but
I don't think that is what most fans watch F1 for (although at least
modern in-car shots give some idea of the - literally - inch-perfect
driving required for a good lap).

Not that I would wish to see Monaco disappear - it's a great "event" and
I always look forward to it.

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
larkim
2017-09-01 11:24:39 UTC
It was a quick track for Eliud Kipchoge...
geoff

2017-09-01 07:23:45 UTC
Post by John
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and 3rd best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the field.
Hmmm... Did you see how Hamilton left Vettel far behind at Spa? Me neither.

I'm not a fan of Monza. Spa, Suzuka, Austin give my boat considerably more flotation. It's main claim to fame seems to be that it's been around for donkeys years.
John
2017-09-03 20:22:56 UTC
Post by John
I love that F1 comes back with back to back races at their 2nd and 3rd best tracks. Only down is that Merc should run away from the field.
And did they ever. Thought Ferrari might have had a bit more fight in them, another few laps and Ricciardo would have been on the podium.