Watching Indy-500 in the UK?
2017-05-15 10:49:45 UTC
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
bra
2017-05-15 16:02:37 UTC
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
It amazes me that you can get a start/finish line seat at Indianapolis for $90, and Turn 1 seats for $110.

Monaco's cheapest seat for seeing GP2 qually and F1 practice on the Thursday are nearly $400.

Meanwhile, on the same Sunday I will be 'on the mic' at our local drag races, where for $10 you watch seven hours of action, and $35 gets you on the strip in your car for five hours of runs, (and seven if you can fight through eliminations to the final showdown race).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/drag-races-take-over-the-runway-on-bcs-sunshine-coast/article26078743/
Calum
2017-05-15 18:56:57 UTC
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
Not any free ones that I know of. If you're in the UK and it's really on
Sky (I've no idea), your best bet might be a NowTV day pass for £6.99,
which would let you watch on a laptop, tablet, games console or some
smart TVs.

<http://www.skysports.com/nowtv>
larkim
2017-05-16 14:00:06 UTC
Post by Calum
Post by larkim
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
Not any free ones that I know of. If you're in the UK and it's really on
Sky (I've no idea), your best bet might be a NowTV day pass for £6.99,
which would let you watch on a laptop, tablet, games console or some
smart TVs.
<http://www.skysports.com/nowtv>
Seems its on BT Sport ESPN, and there's no short term pass option for that
that I can find (unless you have BT Broadband, which I don't).
build
I'm told it's being streamed live on farcebook.
t***@gmail.com
2017-05-17 01:29:57 UTC
I'm told it's being streamed live on farcebook.
Farcebook? Haha. Stupid made a funny. Not
build
2017-05-15 22:55:22 UTC
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
G'day Mate,
I'm in Oz so might be geo specific but doubt that. I just did a search and found several legal, free live feeds. Tried the three at the top and all were good. Live timing is more important and that's free too.

Post back if you have problems but you should be OK.

beers,
D Munz
2017-05-16 01:48:09 UTC
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
try www.indycar.com

That's the IRL official site and they may have streaming links.

Jeff
2017-05-16 04:21:17 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by larkim
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
try www.indycar.com
That's the IRL official site and they may have streaming links.
They stream practice, but not the race.
Since it is not broadcast in Indiana, I get by listening on the radio while
watching the timing and scoring on the indycar site. There is normally video
available later on a torrent or youtube. Last years race is here
if you want a taste of what the
race is like (sans Alonso, of course).
D Munz
2017-05-16 11:42:51 UTC
Post by Jeff
They stream practice, but not the race.
Since it is not broadcast in Indiana, I get by listening on the radio while
watching the timing and scoring on the indycar site. There is normally video
available later on a torrent or youtube. Last years race is here
http://youtu.be/LI0qxWT4Z30 if you want a taste of what the
race is like (sans Alonso, of course).
Wait, what? There is no broadcast in Indiana? Is that an attendance deal (like baseball games in home markets)? What if the race sells out? Have they ever shown it live? (Or how about OTA from one of the Chicago stations?)

In this day, I find that amazing. Although, as a form CART loyalist, nothing should surprise me from the Hulman family...

leonard hofstatder
2017-05-16 23:39:07 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Jeff
They stream practice, but not the race.
Since it is not broadcast in Indiana, I get by listening on the radio while
watching the timing and scoring on the indycar site. There is normally video
available later on a torrent or youtube. Last years race is here
http://youtu.be/LI0qxWT4Z30 if you want a taste of what the
race is like (sans Alonso, of course).
Wait, what? There is no broadcast in Indiana? Is that an attendance deal (like baseball games in home markets)? What if the race sells out? Have they ever shown it live? (Or how about OTA from one of the Chicago stations?)
In this day, I find that amazing. Although, as a form CART loyalist, nothing should surprise me from the Hulman family...
The race has always been blacked out in the immediate "Indianapolis"
viewing area, though it was lifted for last years sellout for the 100th.
Any where else in Indiana that you can get an ABC station that's not
from Indy shows race live. Indianapolis always shows the race replay, in
full, that same evening. Was cool when I lived there...go to race...get
home just in time to watch it again.
geoff
2017-05-16 23:52:27 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by larkim
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
try www.indycar.com
That's the IRL official site and they may have streaming links.
Jeeze, I hope the commentary isn't as painfully simple as the website,
aimed at the rank-unsophisticated "Well now buddies here we are coming
up to another of those dang curve things", .much in the same
presentation manner as Faux News.

Mind you, I guess round and round and round doesn't demand much. The
tracks with disparate corners must stretch them a bit though ....

Turn the channel assfucker. Stop the bitching.
t***@gmail.com
2017-05-17 00:26:02 UTC
must stretch them a bit though ....
Like your stretched asshole.
Jeff
2017-05-17 18:26:39 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by larkim
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
try www.indycar.com
That's the IRL official site and they may have streaming links.
Jeeze, I hope the commentary isn't as painfully simple as the website,
aimed at the rank-unsophisticated "Well now buddies here we are coming
up to another of those dang curve things", .much in the same
presentation manner as Faux News.
Mind you, I guess round and round and round doesn't demand much. The
tracks with disparate corners must stretch them a bit though ....
geoff
What you hear in the live stream are the announcers on the track PA system
and the video is what is shown on the screens at the track. People at the
track cannot see the cars all the way around so they are describing the laps
for their benefit.
While the turns are same dimensionally, there are subtle differences. For
example, track temperatures an be as much as 10 degrees F different from one
end of the track to the other and turn 3 has bumps that the cars can bottom
out on when running a full fuel load.
geoff
2017-05-17 20:10:43 UTC
Post by Jeff
Post by geoff
Jeeze, I hope the commentary isn't as painfully simple as the website,
aimed at the rank-unsophisticated "..........
What you hear in the live stream are the announcers on the track PA system
and the video is what is shown on the screens at the track..........
I was more referring to the written blurb on the website front page, and
extrapolating that to commentary. (Semi)jokingly.

2017-05-18 01:34:50 UTC
Post by Jeff
Post by geoff
Jeeze, I hope the commentary isn't as painfully simple as the
website, aimed at the rank-unsophisticated "..........
What you hear in the live stream are the announcers on the track PA
system and the video is what is shown on the screens at the
track..........
I was more referring to the written blurb on the website front page,
and extrapolating that to commentary. (Semi)jokingly.
I guess I'll be searching for a higlights package after I watch the Monaco
GP (but before I come here as, with Nando racing there the results will
likely be discussed here).

However last year, despite being registered at two torrent sites that only
handle motor racing torrents I couldn't find an hour highlight package. It
was the whole damn ~3.5 hour race or nothing. This year I may watch the
whole thing as not only is NZer Scott Dixon racing but also Fernando - two
racers who I have an interest in watching.

2017-05-18 01:59:56 UTC
Andretti media conference after day 3;

2017-05-18 02:09:15 UTC
Oh no. First world problems.
~misfit~
2017-05-19 04:56:42 UTC
I guess I'll be searching for a higlights package after I watch the
Monaco GP (but before I come here as, with Nando racing there the
results will likely be discussed here).
Oh shit! I just realised that Indy starts two hours before the Monaco Grand
Prix and the full race has been completed in under four hours in the past.
That means, with Nando running in it this year it's more than likely the
result and/or running race updates will be mentioned by the F1 commentators.

I may have to watch the Indy 500 first as it's less likely they'll be
talking about the other race than vice-versa - also it may be finished
before the F1 is. Still it's not a certainty though so it's likey that I'll
hear spoilers for one of the races . :-/

Jeff
2017-05-19 06:24:03 UTC
I guess I'll be searching for a higlights package after I watch the
Monaco GP (but before I come here as, with Nando racing there the
results will likely be discussed here).
Oh shit! I just realised that Indy starts two hours before the Monaco
Grand Prix and the full race has been completed in under four hours in
the past. That means, with Nando running in it this year it's more than
likely the result and/or running race updates will be mentioned by the
F1 commentators.
I may have to watch the Indy 500 first as it's less likely they'll be
talking about the other race than vice-versa - also it may be finished
before the F1 is. Still it's not a certainty though so it's likey that
I'll hear spoilers for one of the races . :-/
Time in Monaco is 6 hours ahead of Indianapolis. The GP will be ended before
Indy begins.
Bobster
~misfit~ is having trouble understanding time zones lately.
Martin Harran
2017-05-20 21:59:24 UTC
Post by Jeff
[...]
Isn't this the guy who was telling use recently how smart he is
compared to the rest of us?
~misfit~
2017-05-21 12:08:09 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
Catch up Abdulla - I always have trouble with time zones and have freely
admitted it.
Post by Martin Harran
Isn't this the guy who was telling use recently how smart he is
compared to the rest of us?
Good to see that you're placing yourself firmly in the 'rest of us' group
now (even if it is when twisting my words) instead of your previous biggest
brain at KYIT.

I don't know of any place called KYIT.
~misfit~
2017-05-22 00:29:57 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
On Mon, 22 May 2017 00:08:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
Post by ~misfit~
On Fri, 19 May 2017 00:03:44 -0700 (PDT), Bobster
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
It's an IT that's so well lubed even mediocre intellects slide beyond their
natural level with a little impetus.

So where exactly is this place of which you talk?
~misfit~
2017-05-23 05:03:48 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
So it's not only the abilty to learn but also the ability to remember that's
age-related?

2017-05-23 06:49:58 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
Nope, I can only forget what I once knew and I never in my life knew
of any place called KYIT. I now do know that there is an IT called Kao
Yuan Institute of Technology in Taiwan but I only know that because I
Googled it. It's beyond me why you would associate me with a place I
never even heard of until I Googled it.
Sir Tim
Could it have been a (whispers) j-o-k-e ?
~misfit~
2017-05-23 10:01:12 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
Check out the big brain on Sir Tim! ;)

2017-05-23 13:31:00 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
Most likely that is the excuse that will be offered. But if that were so, he could have said, a few posts back, "dude, I'm only joking. Sorry, these things don't always work that well on usenet".

But he didn't. He was out to offend.

Martin and ~misfit~ have crossed swords already. Standard stuff, ~misfit~ indulging in put downs and character judgements when somebody won't swallow one of his bizarre, self-aggrandising theories. He also seems to have got so interested in Martin that to look for lines of attack he did some googling.

So it's ~misfit~ slinging offences around and then wanting to pretend that really it was something else.

As usual.

Remember my saying a while back that I don't see why so much bile comes Edmund's way? This is why. I don't agree with much that Edmund says and I counter it. I don't agree with much that ~misfit~ says and I counter that too. The difference is that you will always get the character attack back from ~misfit~.

There's a growing number of people taking exception to his insulting, aggressive ways. The problem is not with them.
Bigbird
2017-05-23 14:20:50 UTC
Could it have been a (whispers) j-o-k-e ?
Most likely that is the excuse that will be offered.
[snip bullying]
Post by Bobster
There's a growing number of people taking exception to his insulting,
aggressive ways. The problem is not with them.
You, Tex and Abdul for three, huh?

Shaun made a typo and failing to own up to it made a joke of it instead.

Shaun clearly has his issues but being a bullying, fat-headed,
dishonourable and deceitful cunt ain't one of them.

I am one of the last people to be excusing other people behaviour but
at least with Shaun we know enough to make allowances. The reasons for
your nastiness seem to go no deeper than a damaged ego.

A number of people take exception to your constant, long winded,
bullying of various people on this group. The problem is not with them.
Martin Harran
2017-05-23 18:02:52 UTC
On Tue, 23 May 2017 14:20:50 -0000 (UTC), "Bigbird"
Post by Bobster
There's a growing number of people taking exception to his insulting,
aggressive ways. The problem is not with them.
You, Tex and Abdul for three, huh?
Shaun made a typo and failing to own up to it made a joke of it instead.
Shaun clearly has his issues but being a bullying, fat-headed,
dishonourable and deceitful cunt ain't one of them.
I am one of the last people to be excusing other people behaviour but
at least with Shaun we know enough to make allowances.
All you know is what he has told you and going on his recent
performance, I would take everything he says with a rather large pinch
of salt
Bigbird
2017-05-23 18:44:17 UTC
Post by Bigbird
You, Tex and Abdul for three, huh?
Shaun made a typo and failing to own up to it made a joke of it instead.
Shaun clearly has his issues but being a bullying, fat-headed,
dishonourable and deceitful cunt ain't one of them.
I am one of the last people to be excusing other people behaviour
but at least with Shaun we know enough to make allowances.
All you know is what he has told you and going on his recent
performance, I would take everything he says with a rather large pinch
of salt
I am not involving myself in your spat nor defending what either of you
has said. I really haven't paid it much attention once it got personal.
That's between the two of you.

I have and will probably get involved in enough of these things myself.
However I do recognise in myself the reasons why I allow myself to act
the way I sometimes do here. I see in Bobster and Shaun two people who
have become too invested in the group which has also happened to me in
the past.

I do take exception to Bobster trying to make capital out of your spat.
I have, over the years, found him to be a person of little integrity.
~misfit~
2017-05-24 02:14:13 UTC
Post by Bobster
There's a growing number of people taking exception to his insulting,
aggressive ways. The problem is not with them.
You, Tex and Abdul for three, huh?
Shaun made a typo and failing to own up to it made a joke of it instead.
Did everybody here Google Harran? *If* I had then I wouldn't have then gone
on to share that (readilly available) info here. Instead I might have
deliberately made a joke based on the name of the degree-mill. In theory
that is...
Post by Bigbird
Shaun clearly has his issues but being a bullying, fat-headed,
dishonourable and deceitful cunt ain't one of them.
Indeed - and thanks. Everyone has issues (my closest friend, more of a
brother really, died last month and I am gutted, almost rudderless) - it's
just that some people choose to hide them. The bigger the issues the more
elaborate the 'front'.

LOL! I actually do make a lot of typos and I'm glad I caught one in that
last sentence above. 'b' and 'n' are very close together...
Post by Bigbird
I am one of the last people to be excusing other people behaviour but
at least with Shaun we know enough to make allowances. The reasons for
your nastiness seem to go no deeper than a damaged ego.
A number of people take exception to your constant, long winded,
bullying of various people on this group. The problem is not with them.
I often feel sorry for Edmundo. IMO he's largely perceived the way he is
here due to Bob manipulating him into corners under the guise of being a
friend - then winding him up. Eddy used to be far more reasonable before he
was manipulated into becoming a caricature of himself. As he's not a native
English speaker it's like shooting fish in a barrel for Dubery.

Bubba used to do that with me also - on one hand saying I was a conspiracy
nut and on the other hand linking to or bringing up 'out there' theories -
and before a week had passed he was laying ownership of them at my feet. As
most others were skim-reading at best and because Bubba can superficially
seem sooo reasonable they believed his spin. I wasn't fully cognisant of
what was happening at first (I believe you tried to warn me and I didn't
listen?) as I'd never met anyone so manipulative and slimy.

Come to rasf1 and get a free education on aberant behaviour!

2017-05-24 02:56:43 UTC
Post by Bigbird
[...]
When you go on your weekly trip to the pharmacy.
Tell the person behind the counter.
That something is not quite right.
Martin Harran
2017-05-23 16:43:27 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
(note: I already posted this elsewhere by mistake, it was meant as a
response to Sir Tim)

Nope. Misfit went digging into my background* and thought he would
show off by slagging off the college where I got my degree but he who
claims to be so much smarter than the rest of us couldn't even get the
name of the college right!

(* Revealing people's personal details on Usenet is not a particularly
nice practice. In my case, I don't really mind as I have chosen to use
my real name (unlike misfit) but if people are going to post stuff
about me, I'd really like them to get it right. You know the old
saying "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my
name right!")
~misfit~
2017-05-24 00:21:20 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
Do you make a lot of blatant mistakes?
Post by Martin Harran
Nope. Misfit went digging into my background* and thought he would
show off by slagging off the college where I got my degree but he who
claims to be so much smarter than the rest of us couldn't even get the
name of the college right!
Actually I hadn't gone 'digging into your background' (until now). I took a
punt on you not going to a 'proper' university (based on qualification
requirements and your lack of 'classical' knowledge and your OTT reaction
confirmed my guess. There was no need to check after that - not that I would
have (previously).

Now I see that my joke (with a nod to Tex...) w/r/t the degree mill that you
went to was remarkably close to the actual name of the place. I wondered why
you got your panties in a bunch and dragged this thread out.... I just
googled 'Martin Harran - Institute' (because it could have gone either way
really) and in the first three hits are your facebook and LinkedIn pages.
Post by Martin Harran
(* Revealing people's personal details on Usenet is not a particularly
nice practice. In my case, I don't really mind as I have chosen to use
my real name
LOL! Says the guy who comes to rasf1 posting under his real name and
boasting that he lectures at a tertiary education facility! (I just tried
'Martin Harran - Lecture' and got your LinkedIn as first hit too. You do
like to put yourself around a lot don't you?) It's a good job that you
"don't really mind" otherwise you'd have to punch yourself in the face. All
this toing and froing over something that you put out there yourself - or
was it about a perceived typo? Either way it's a storm in a teacup.
Post by Martin Harran
(unlike misfit) but if people are going to post stuff
My real name's Shaun. It's at the end of each of my posts. I continue using
~misfit~ for continuity's sake (I detest nymshifters) as it's the nym I
first used to post to usenet back in the 90s.
Post by Martin Harran
about me, I'd really like them to get it right. You know the old
saying "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my
name right!")
So you went to in Irish degree mill to vaildate what you'd been doing all of
your life anyway rather than a Taiwanese one? I guess that's better....
(from your reaction at least you think so).

2017-05-24 00:38:06 UTC
You stalking fucking disabled freak. Get a life.
t***@gmail.com
2017-05-24 01:05:57 UTC
My real name's Shaun.
I am a disabled cunt.
With a chip on my shoulder.
Sitting in a shitty diaper.
Bobster
2017-05-24 03:07:35 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by ~misfit~
My real name's Shaun.
I am a disabled cunt.
With a chip on my shoulder.
Sitting in a shitty diaper.
Oh Jesus! I don't like the guy, and I don't usually bother with you, but this is going way too far.
t***@gmail.com
2017-05-24 01:15:21 UTC
So you went to in Irish degree mill to vaildate what you'd been doing all of
your life anyway rather than a Taiwanese one? I guess that's better....
Doesn't look like he ended up in the pathetic state you are in.
With all your education.
Martin Harran
2017-05-24 11:59:17 UTC
On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:21:20 +1200, "~misfit~"
[...]
Post by ~misfit~
Do you make a lot of blatant mistakes?
I make my share of mistakes but not many blatant ones. Unlike you,
when I do make a mistake, I openly admit it and try to put it right.
That is a sign of being at ease with one's self and one's abilities
and one's shortcomings.
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Martin Harran
Nope. Misfit went digging into my background* and thought he would
show off by slagging off the college where I got my degree but he who
claims to be so much smarter than the rest of us couldn't even get the
name of the college right!
Actually I hadn't gone 'digging into your background' (until now). I took a
punt on you not going to a 'proper' university (based on qualification
requirements and your lack of 'classical' knowledge and your OTT reaction
confirmed my guess. There was no need to check after that - not that I would
have (previously).
So you just had a lucky guess that it went to an Institute of
Technology. And, where the college I attended is commonly known as
LYIT, by pure coincidence you select KYIT as a hypothetical one to
slag off. Do you really think that people here are stupid enough to
believe that?
Post by ~misfit~
Now I see that my joke (with a nod to Tex...) w/r/t the degree mill
Your description of an educational establishment that you know nothing
about is clear demonstration, if one were needed, of just how big a
chip you have on your shoulder.

[snip childish bitterness]

Bobster
2017-05-21 17:49:36 UTC
Post by Jeff
[...]
You launch an attack on my character, you tell lies about me. You can't expect me to take anything you say at face value.

And remember, you're supposed to have me killfiled ;-)
Bigbird
2017-05-21 18:35:26 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Bobster
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
Time in Monaco is 6 hours ahead of Indianapolis. The GP will be
ended before Indy begins.
~misfit~ is having trouble understanding time zones lately.
Catch up Abdulla - I always have trouble with time zones and have
freely admitted it.
You launch an attack on my character, you tell lies about me. You
can't expect me to take anything you say at face value.
And remember, you're supposed to have me killfiled ;-)
Which is why he didn't reply directly to your post and won't see that
one without help, smart arse.
~misfit~
2017-05-22 00:26:50 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Bobster
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
Time in Monaco is 6 hours ahead of Indianapolis. The GP will be
ended before Indy begins.
~misfit~ is having trouble understanding time zones lately.
Catch up Abdulla - I always have trouble with time zones and have
freely admitted it.
You launch an attack on my character, you tell lies about me. You
can't expect me to take anything you say at face value.
That tells me that I've hit very close to the truth. ;)
And remember, you're supposed to have me killfiled ;-)
Cat got your brain?
Post by Bigbird
Which is why he didn't reply directly to your post and won't see that
one without help, smart arse.
Lucky part of him is smart - now he just needs to think with it. <g>

2017-05-21 18:37:11 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
Why killfile him and then reply to his posts. You know it only lets him
have a free snide shot.
~misfit~
2017-05-22 00:21:54 UTC
Post by Bobster
Post by Jeff
[...]
He's insignificant, free shot or not. Sometimes I see a comment of his *in a
reply I'm making anyway* and not replying to it defeats the main point of
the reply. (Or something... <g>)

2017-05-19 07:37:20 UTC
Post by Jeff
I guess I'll be searching for a higlights package after I watch the
Monaco GP (but before I come here as, with Nando racing there the
results will likely be discussed here).
Oh shit! I just realised that Indy starts two hours before the Monaco
Grand Prix and the full race has been completed in under four hours in
the past. That means, with Nando running in it this year it's more than
likely the result and/or running race updates will be mentioned by the
F1 commentators.
I may have to watch the Indy 500 first as it's less likely they'll be
talking about the other race than vice-versa - also it may be finished
before the F1 is. Still it's not a certainty though so it's likey that
I'll hear spoilers for one of the races . :-/
Time in Monaco is 6 hours ahead of Indianapolis. The GP will be ended before
Indy begins.
UK times for the various bits of coverage:-
https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/05/17/scheduling-the-2017-indianapolis-500/
~misfit~
2017-05-19 08:44:51 UTC
Post by Jeff
I guess I'll be searching for a higlights package after I watch the
Monaco GP (but before I come here as, with Nando racing there the
results will likely be discussed here).
Oh shit! I just realised that Indy starts two hours before the Monaco
Grand Prix and the full race has been completed in under four hours
in the past. That means, with Nando running in it this year it's
more than likely the result and/or running race updates will be
mentioned by the F1 commentators.
I may have to watch the Indy 500 first as it's less likely they'll be
talking about the other race than vice-versa - also it may be
finished before the F1 is. Still it's not a certainty though so it's
likey that I'll hear spoilers for one of the races . :-/
Time in Monaco is 6 hours ahead of Indianapolis. The GP will be
ended before Indy begins.
Odd. When I Googled 2017 Indy 500 start time Google said "10.00pm your time"
(I'm in New Zealand), scheduled to go until 9.00am Monday if needed. The
Monaco GP starts at 12am NZ time...

Maybe I need a better computer.

Ok instead of letting Google do it for me automatically I used an on-line
converter to work out the Indy start time and 12:14pm in Indianapolis
("Gentlemen start your engines") is 4:14am the next day (date), Monday 29th
New Zealand time.

So yeah. Indy 500 starts at least 4 hours and 14 minutes after the Monaco
GP. Thanks for prompting me to double check and not trust Google. I might
just not watch the Monaco after-race coverage until after watching Indy in
case it runs late and there's an early 'incident' at Indy

(*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).
D Munz
2017-05-19 12:02:18 UTC
Post by Jeff
[...]
Could be Google referring to start of coverage (or events). It seems like the broadcasters want to grab you at egg & bacon and pump adds into your house all day.

I do remember one year the Indy broadcast "congratulated" the Monaco F1 winner early on when the race was tape-delayed on another network. They didn't even offer a spoiler warning.

2017-05-20 00:30:23 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Jeff
[...]
I think that you're right. That's why instead of just googling 'what time is
the start of indy 500' I instead found a schedule and looked for the time
the 'start your engines' is given (which is indeed hours after 'the indy
500' starts!).
Post by D Munz
I do remember one year the Indy broadcast "congratulated" the Monaco
F1 winner early on when the race was tape-delayed on another network.
They didn't even offer a spoiler warning.
Bastards! I try my hardest to avoid things like this, hence my double
checking start times. ;)

2017-05-19 14:28:38 UTC
Thanks for prompting me to double check and not trust Google.
Take responsibility for your own stupidity.
Phil Carmody
2017-05-23 06:14:59 UTC
I guess I'll be searching for a higlights package after I watch the
Monaco GP (but before I come here as, with Nando racing there the
results will likely be discussed here).
Oh shit! I just realised that Indy starts two hours before the Monaco Grand
Prix and the full race has been completed in under four hours in the past.
That means, with Nando running in it this year it's more than likely the
result and/or running race updates will be mentioned by the F1 commentators.
I may have to watch the Indy 500 first as it's less likely they'll be
talking about the other race than vice-versa - also it may be finished
before the F1 is. Still it's not a certainty though so it's likey that I'll
hear spoilers for one of the races . :-/
I think I might just go to the most sports-orieted bar in town, and
see if I can watch both simultaniously on multiple screens. They do
the best jalfrezi in town too, what's not to like, apart from the lack
of any audio commentary.

Phil
--
Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when the DSM has
a cozy little place next to the bible in the "Fiction" shelf
in the library.
Bobster
2017-05-23 06:23:55 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
I think I might just go to the most sports-orieted bar in town, and
see if I can watch both simultaniously on multiple screens. They do
the best jalfrezi in town too, what's not to like, apart from the lack
of any audio commentary.
DSTV here in South Africa are now showing the 500. They will be showing Monaco as well. They are nowt showing the whole 500 coverage, which goes on for hours, they are switching over a bit before the race so that we will get some analysis and then the call to start engines and etc.

And their schedule has the 500 coverage commencing after Sky's post race wrap up of Monaco. So you can catch both races (not necessarily all the support) with no overlap.
Bigbird
2017-05-23 14:23:52 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
I think I might just go to the most sports-orieted bar in town, and
see if I can watch both simultaniously on multiple screens. They do
the best jalfrezi in town too, what's not to like, apart from the
lack of any audio commentary.
DSTV here in South Africa are now showing the 500.
No spoilers please. The rest of us have to wait until the weekend to
see it.
~misfit~
2017-05-23 10:06:45 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
[...]
That sounds great! Also no audio commentary isn't always a bad thing.
Except, wouldn't you know it - I was wrong! ;)

Indy doesn't start until quite a bit after Monaco finishes. I guess you
could stop eating now and build up a really big appetite and nibble your way
through ~10 hours of socialising with a couple races interspersed.

name right!")
Martin Harran
Sorry, above posted to wrong place.
Bobster
2017-05-19 07:08:59 UTC
As someone without Sky, are there any viable (legal) options for watching
Alonso in the Indy 500?
I'd thought my local sky equivalent would be showing it, but no. We get the entire NASCAR series, but Indy we get some races live, some as highlights and some not at all. And the 500 seems to fall into that category.

I haven't watched it regularly. I have watched it before, and anybody who says that it's just cars going around in a circle is missing the point. Sure, the track is boring - 4 corners, all the same length and angle, all the same direction, but the racing can get close, lots of overtaking and slipstreaming, and watching the strategies play out can be engrossing. It's not a quick snack.

What year was it that Fittipaldi refused the traditional glass of milk and went for orange juice instead?