Plywood??
2017-08-11 06:53:04 UTC
I was in London for business this week and had a few hours to kill so I ran down to the V&A to check out the Pink Floyd Exhibition. (Very interesting, but the massive crowds kind of killed the flow.)

On the left as you go into the V&A form Cromwell, there is a gallery devoted to plywood. Right at the front they have a Formula Two car from 1967 with a plywood tub. It was designed by Frank Costin and manufactured by Ron Harris Racing of Hertfordshire. The exhibit card says:

"Painted, moulded 3-ply birch plywood body with birch plywood bulkheads, metal fittings, rubber wheels, acrylic hood"

Apparently Costin got the idea from working on plywood aeroplanes. If it works, here is a link to one of Joe's blogs covering this.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/fascinating-f1-facts/

There is a youtube video as well.

Fascinating stuff. (At least, I think so...)

2017-08-11 11:32:24 UTC
Post by D Munz
I was in London for business this week and had a few hours to kill so I ran down to the V&A to check out the Pink Floyd Exhibition. (Very interesting, but the massive crowds kind of killed the flow.)
"Painted, moulded 3-ply birch plywood body with birch plywood bulkheads, metal fittings, rubber wheels, acrylic hood"
Apparently Costin got the idea from working on plywood aeroplanes. If it works, here is a link to one of Joe's blogs covering this.
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/fascinating-f1-facts/
There is a youtube video as well.
Fascinating stuff. (At least, I think so...)
The multi-role de Havilland Mosquito was formed of spruce, birch and
balsa wood plies, an early composite structural material easily repaired
in the field, whose doped fabric-covered surface was rivetless and
seamless, thus low-drag.
Bobster
Thanks. I was thinking that drag/smoothness must have been an attraction for Costin.
Alan Baker
2017-08-11 15:55:13 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
And another part of the story is that the because the Mossie was made
largely of wood, it utilized manufacturing resources and people that
weren't already tied up.
keithr0
2017-08-13 04:41:33 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Not just the Mosquito, later De Havilland jet aircraft the Vampire and
Venom also used plywood for the construction of the nose section.
Mark Jackson
2017-08-11 12:36:18 UTC
Post by D Munz
I was in London for business this week and had a few hours to kill
so I ran down to the V&A to check out the Pink Floyd Exhibition.
(Very interesting, but the massive crowds kind of killed the flow.)
On the left as you go into the V&A form Cromwell, there is a gallery
devoted to plywood. Right at the front they have a Formula Two car
from 1967 with a plywood tub. It was designed by Frank Costin and
manufactured by Ron Harris Racing of Hertfordshire. The exhibit
"Painted, moulded 3-ply birch plywood body with birch plywood
bulkheads, metal fittings, rubber wheels, acrylic hood"
Apparently Costin got the idea from working on plywood aeroplanes.
Not quite the same, but Robin Herd's McLaren M2B, which ran in 4 GPs in
1966, had a Mallite (aluminum-end grain balsa wood-aluminum sandwich) tub.
Why do people say Putin is playing chess and Trump is playing
checkers when it is obvious Putin is playing poker and Trump
is playing Calvinball? Congressional Republicans, meanwhile,
are playing Jenga plus Hungry Hungry Hippos. - John Holbo
Sir Tim
2017-08-11 12:54:41 UTC
Post by D Munz
I was in London for business this week and had a few hours to kill so I
ran down to the V&A to check out the Pink Floyd Exhibition. (Very
interesting, but the massive crowds kind of killed the flow.)
On the left as you go into the V&A form Cromwell, there is a gallery
devoted to plywood. Right at the front they have a Formula Two car from
1967 with a plywood tub. It was designed by Frank Costin and
"Painted, moulded 3-ply birch plywood body with birch plywood bulkheads,
metal fittings, rubber wheels, acrylic hood"
Apparently Costin got the idea from working on plywood aeroplanes. If it
works, here is a link to one of Joe's blogs covering this.
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/fascinating-f1-facts/
There is a youtube video as well.
Fascinating stuff. (At least, I think so...)
Back in the early 1970s we raced a Marcos GT in the ModSports category:

This car also had a plywood chassis, although later versions reverted to
steel I believe
2017-08-13 09:47:19 UTC
Post by D Munz
I was in London for business this week and had a few hours to kill so I ran down to the V&A to check out the Pink Floyd Exhibition. (Very interesting, but the massive crowds kind of killed the flow.)
"Painted, moulded 3-ply birch plywood body with birch plywood bulkheads, metal fittings, rubber wheels, acrylic hood"
Apparently Costin got the idea from working on plywood aeroplanes. If it works, here is a link to one of Joe's blogs covering this.
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/fascinating-f1-facts/
There is a youtube video as well.
Fascinating stuff. (At least, I think so...)
And since mid-94, all F1 cars have included some plywood.