Which sponsor withdrawal sank the Surtees team?
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2018-02-11 16:58:48 UTC
In 2008 the Super Aguri team were sunk when a major sponsor defaulted on payments- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_Group_Oil_%26_Gas_Company

I remember John Surtees saying the same about his team.

(The story goes that going into the 1979 season a sponsor promised money but not upfront - money which Surtees then spent upfront though. The sponsor defaulted leaving the team with a built car for 1979 but no money to run it - he tried to sue but simply broke even - i.e. he still didn't get the money but didn't lose any either by him going to court in the first place)

He never named the sponsor in interviews etc (and neither does Wikipedia etc) - I know that 3 sponsors he had in the 1970's were Brooke-Bond, Beta Tools, and Durex - but who defaulted on payment and wrecked his team?
geoff
2018-02-12 05:51:39 UTC
On 12/02/2018 5:58 AM, ***@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> In 2008 the Super Aguri team were sunk when a major sponsor defaulted on payments- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_Group_Oil_%26_Gas_Company
>
> I remember John Surtees saying the same about his team.
>
> (The story goes that going into the 1979 season a sponsor promised money but not upfront - money which Surtees then spent upfront though. The sponsor defaulted leaving the team with a built car for 1979 but no money to run it - he tried to sue but simply broke even - i.e. he still didn't get the money but didn't lose any either by him going to court in the first place)
>
> He never named the sponsor in interviews etc (and neither does Wikipedia etc) - I know that 3 sponsors he had in the 1970's were Brooke-Bond, Beta Tools, and Durex - but who defaulted on payment and wrecked his team?

"Withdrawal" ? Sounds like Durex to me ....

2018-02-12 08:46:55 UTC
<***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> In 2008 the Super Aguri team were sunk when a major sponsor defaulted on
> payments- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_Group_Oil_%26_Gas_Company
>
> I remember John Surtees saying the same about his team.
>
> (The story goes that going into the 1979 season a sponsor promised money
> but not upfront - money which Surtees then spent upfront though. The
> sponsor defaulted leaving the team with a built car for 1979 but no money
> to run it - he tried to sue but simply broke even - i.e. he still didn't
> get the money but didn't lose any either by him going to court in the first place)
>
> He never named the sponsor in interviews etc (and neither does Wikipedia
> etc) - I know that 3 sponsors he had in the 1970's were Brooke-Bond, Beta
> Tools, and Durex - but who defaulted on payment and wrecked his team?

The Durex sponsorship certainly attracted a lot of publicity. Whether this
was good or bad for the sponsor I’m not sure but I seem to remember that
Aunty BBC refused to show the Surtees cars.

2018-02-12 09:22:19 UTC

As I recall, there was great unhappiness in the realm because Lauda and Hunt were engaged in an epic championship battle, but the Beeb were refusing to show races because of that unspeakable word on Jones's Surtees.
b***@topmail.co.nz
2018-02-12 13:11:16 UTC

Couldn't they have done something likes Jordan's "BE ON EDGE"?
Halmyre
2018-02-13 07:34:54 UTC

I vaguely remember the team agreeing to paint over the word at one race. It was a wet race, and the paint was not very waterproof...
alister
2018-02-13 10:06:24 UTC
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 23:34:54 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

> On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 1:11:18 PM UTC, ***@topmail.co.nz
> wrote:
>> On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:22:21 PM UTC+8, ***@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > As I recall, there was great unhappiness in the realm because Lauda
>> > and Hunt were engaged in an epic championship battle, but the Beeb
>> > were refusing to show races because of that unspeakable word on
>> > Jones's Surtees.
>>
>> Couldn't they have done something likes Jordan's "BE ON EDGE"?
>
> I vaguely remember the team agreeing to paint over the word at one race.
> It was a wet race, and the paint was not very waterproof...

why on earth would anyone have had an issue with sticky tape anyway ;-)

Heisenberg may have been here.
Bruce Hoult
2018-02-13 10:30:23 UTC
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 1:06:26 PM UTC+3, alister wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 23:34:54 -0800, Halmyre wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 1:11:18 PM UTC, ***@topmail.co.nz
> > wrote:

> >> Couldn't they have done something likes Jordan's "BE ON EDGE"?
> >
> > I vaguely remember the team agreeing to paint over the word at one race.
> > It was a wet race, and the paint was not very waterproof...
>
> why on earth would anyone have had an issue with sticky tape anyway ;-)

Or any other lawful product.

If you know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll think nothing of it.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-13 11:38:41 UTC
On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 12:30:25 UTC+2, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 1:06:26 PM UTC+3, alister wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 23:34:54 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

> > > I vaguely remember the team agreeing to paint over the word at one race.
> > > It was a wet race, and the paint was not very waterproof...
> >
> > why on earth would anyone have had an issue with sticky tape anyway ;-)
>
> Or any other lawful product.
>
> If you know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll think nothing of it.

Presumably because they were worried about a situation where some young kid would ask 'Granny, what is "Durex"?'

Legal and suitable for polite conversation are not the same thing.
Bruce Hoult
2018-02-13 11:58:02 UTC

Assuming Granny isn't about to go into anatomical details of reproduction there and then, something along the lines of "It's something they sell at the pharmacy" would probably suffice.
alister
2018-02-13 15:10:32 UTC
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 03:58:02 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 2:38:43 PM UTC+3, ***@gmail.com
> wrote:

>> > Or any other lawful product.
>> >
>> > If you know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then
>> > you'll think nothing of it.
>>
>> Presumably because they were worried about a situation where some young
>> kid would ask 'Granny, what is "Durex"?'
>>
>> Legal and suitable for polite conversation are not the same thing.
>
> Assuming Granny isn't about to go into anatomical details of
> reproduction there and then, something along the lines of "It's
> something they sell at the pharmacy" would probably suffice.

would have been embarrassing for the sponsor if the car got a puncture

--
"I have come up with a sure-fire concept for a hit television show,
which would be called `A Live Celebrity Gets Eaten by a Shark'."
-- Dave Barry, "The Wonders of Sharks on TV"
Brian W Lawrence
2018-02-13 17:20:47 UTC
On 13/02/2018 15:10, alister wrote:

> would have been embarrassing for the sponsor if the car got a puncture

I can't remember where I saw the photos, but they positioned a
Durex Surtees pic next to a Penthouse Rizla Hesketh, which was
sponsored by Penthouse magazine and featured a Penthouse Pet.

The caption was 'Wouldn't it be fun if this car banged that one'.

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f8/Hesketh_308D_front-left_Donington_Grand_Prix_Collection.jpg/800px-Hesketh_308D_front-left_Donington_Grand_Prix_Collection.jpg>
Geoff
2018-02-13 21:07:19 UTC
On 14/02/2018 4:10 AM, alister wrote:

> would have been embarrassing for the sponsor if the car got a puncture

Or skidded off into the wrong area (_)*(_)

geoff
Geoff
2018-02-13 21:06:23 UTC
On 14/02/2018 12:58 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 2:38:43 PM UTC+3, ***@gmail.com wrote:
u know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll
think nothing of it.

>> Presumably because they were worried about a situation where some young kid would ask 'Granny, what is "Durex"?'
>>
>> Legal and suitable for polite conversation are not the same thing.
>
> Assuming Granny isn't about to go into anatomical details of reproduction there and then, something along the lines of "It's something they sell at the pharmacy" would probably suffice.

Supermarket shelves these days too. Not quite at the impulse-buy section
of the checkout...

2018-02-14 02:48:16 UTC

They are, here in Russia. Right next to the Tic-Tacs.
Geoff
2018-02-14 03:31:29 UTC
On 14/02/2018 3:48 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 12:06:33 AM UTC+3, Geoff wrote:
>> On 14/02/2018 12:58 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 2:38:43 PM UTC+3, ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> u know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll
>> think nothing of it.

>>> Assuming Granny isn't about to go into anatomical details of reproduction there and then, something along the lines of "It's something they sell at the pharmacy" would probably suffice.
>>>

>> Supermarket shelves these days too. Not quite at the impulse-buy section
>> of the checkout...
>
> They are, here in Russia. Right next to the Tic-Tacs.

If you look a bit gay (like Texarse) do you get shuffled into a dark van
as you leave the supermarket ?

2018-02-14 03:49:28 UTC
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:31:40 AM UTC+3, Geoff wrote:
> On 14/02/2018 3:48 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> >> u know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll
> >> think nothing of it.

> >> Supermarket shelves these days too. Not quite at the impulse-buy section
> >> of the checkout...
> >
> > They are, here in Russia. Right next to the Tic-Tacs.
> >

> If you look a bit gay (like Texarse) do you get shuffled into a dark van
> as you leave the supermarket ?

Not outside of Chechnya :-)

I've been surprised how many Russians are prejudiced against not only homosexuals but also jews, muslims, africans, arabs, and asians. Not to the point of killing them ... they just wouldn't want one in the family .. or preferably next door either. They love other white peoples but think that EU, UK, Scandinavia, USA are allowing themselves to be corrupted and Russia is the one remaining defender of European culture/Christianity.
bra
2018-02-14 04:17:28 UTC
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 7:49:30 PM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> I've been surprised how many Russians are prejudiced against not only homosexuals but also jews, muslims, africans, arabs, and asians.

To me, the greatest disappointment over the fall of the USSR and its bloc was not the demise of a communist state, but the undercover existence and sudden eruption of free-market gangsterism, prostitution, and especially racism on a fervent Nazi scale.

I kept a press cutting from 1989, when skinheads marched in Leipzig with banners saying 'HITLER WAS RIGHT'. This, after 45 years of ostensible communist education and culture.

Likewise when Yugoslavia dissolved, after the same era of ostensible national culture, when the parochial, tribal, race and religion-based hatreds flared up with atrocities far worse than those of the USSR break-up.

Topic for a different thread, but Bruce's coment woke me up.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-14 05:44:37 UTC
On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 06:17:30 UTC+2, bra wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 7:49:30 PM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> >
> > I've been surprised how many Russians are prejudiced against not only homosexuals but also jews, muslims, africans, arabs, and asians.
>
> To me, the greatest disappointment over the fall of the USSR and its bloc was not the demise of a communist state, but the undercover existence and sudden eruption of free-market gangsterism, prostitution, and especially racism on a fervent Nazi scale.
>
> I kept a press cutting from 1989, when skinheads marched in Leipzig with banners saying 'HITLER WAS RIGHT'. This, after 45 years of ostensible communist education and culture.

A surprising number of people who speak about "equality" and "freedom" are saying "for people like me" under their breath.

The best current example is Aung San Suu Kyi, who has outed herself as a nationalist with no concern at all about an actively persecuted minority in her own country. I don't believe the Dalai Lama is any better - he's certainly homophobic and I wouldn't be surprised to find that he's not concerned about any universal rights as long as he gets what he wants for his people.
alister
2018-02-14 13:02:40 UTC
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:44:37 -0800, megapode wrote:

> On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 06:17:30 UTC+2, bra wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 7:49:30 PM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
>> >
>> > I've been surprised how many Russians are prejudiced against not only
>> > homosexuals but also jews, muslims, africans, arabs, and asians.
>>
>> To me, the greatest disappointment over the fall of the USSR and its
>> bloc was not the demise of a communist state, but the undercover
>> existence and sudden eruption of free-market gangsterism, prostitution,
>> and especially racism on a fervent Nazi scale.
>>
>> I kept a press cutting from 1989, when skinheads marched in Leipzig
>> with banners saying 'HITLER WAS RIGHT'. This, after 45 years of
>> ostensible communist education and culture.
>
> A surprising number of people who speak about "equality" and "freedom"
> are saying "for people like me" under their breath.
>
> The best current example is Aung San Suu Kyi, who has outed herself as a
> nationalist with no concern at all about an actively persecuted minority
> in her own country. I don't believe the Dalai Lama is any better - he's
> certainly homophobic and I wouldn't be surprised to find that he's not
> concerned about any universal rights as long as he gets what he wants
> for his people.

everyone has a natural (mild) tendency to distrust/dislike/discriminate
against people who are different. most intelligent people recognise these
feelings as incorrect & override them usually without even noticing.

however there will always be some who behave badly - a good example is
religion where race may not be an issue but in some segments have a v
poor attitude to Homosexuality & even in some cases disability ("Your
disability is a punishment for sins of your parents/in an earlier life)

--
The pollution's at that awkward stage. Too thick to navigate and too
thin to cultivate.
-- Doug Sneyd
bra
2018-02-14 16:30:24 UTC

I was once on stage-crew duty when the Dalai Lama did a speaking gig; the gentle smiling chap was accompanied by two VERY BIG men of the same ethnicity, not only wide-shouldered but with plenty of room under their armpits for whatever they wished to carry there --- they kept their eyes on everyone back-stage~
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-15 03:01:37 UTC

You mean another group.
~misfit~
2018-02-14 05:38:34 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:31:40 AM UTC+3, Geoff wrote:

>>> They are, here in Russia. Right next to the Tic-Tacs.
>>>

>> If you look a bit gay (like Texarse) do you get shuffled into a dark
>> van as you leave the supermarket ?
>
> Not outside of Chechnya :-)
>
> I've been surprised how many Russians are prejudiced against not only
> homosexuals but also jews, muslims, africans, arabs, and asians. Not
> to the point of killing them ... they just wouldn't want one in the
> family .. or preferably next door either. They love other white
> peoples but think that EU, UK, Scandinavia, USA are allowing
> themselves to be corrupted and Russia is the one remaining defender
> of European culture/Christianity.

My Ukrainian friend said the same thing (even before Russia annexed the
Crimea and Russian-backed rebels took over parts of Ukraine).

2018-02-15 03:02:58 UTC

gay lover
Willsy
2018-02-16 11:18:36 UTC

Sounds about right to me.
~misfit~
2018-02-14 05:36:05 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 12:06:33 AM UTC+3, Geoff wrote:
>> On 14/02/2018 12:58 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 2:38:43 PM UTC+3,
>>> ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> u know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll
>> think nothing of it.

>>> Assuming Granny isn't about to go into anatomical details of
>>> reproduction there and then, something along the lines of "It's
>>> something they sell at the pharmacy" would probably suffice.
>>>

>> Supermarket shelves these days too. Not quite at the impulse-buy
>> section of the checkout...
>
> They are, here in Russia. Right next to the Tic-Tacs.

I've seen them in the 'impulse buy' area of a supermarket here too in NZ,
either Pak'n'Save or Countdown (as they're the only supermarkets I visit).

2018-02-14 10:44:01 UTC
On 14/02/2018 6:36 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Once upon a time on usenet Bruce Hoult wrote:
>>> u know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then you'll
>>> think nothing of it.

>>> Supermarket shelves these days too. Not quite at the impulse-buy
>>> section of the checkout...
>>
>> They are, here in Russia. Right next to the Tic-Tacs.
>
> I've seen them in the 'impulse buy' area of a supermarket here too in NZ,
> either Pak'n'Save or Countdown (as they're the only supermarkets I visit).

I'm a bit naughty, and have been known to drop a vibrator-toy into some
old dears shopping trolley.

2018-02-14 15:18:01 UTC

and a dumb cunt too
Geoff
2018-02-14 20:33:03 UTC
On 15/02/2018 4:18 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 3:44:08 AM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
>
>> I'm a bit naughty,
>
> and a dumb cunt too

Yeah, in a few trolleys of them too. Find one did you ? I'm sure you
found a use for it.

geoff
Geoff
2018-02-13 21:05:08 UTC
On 14/02/2018 12:38 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 12:30:25 UTC+2, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> Presumably because they were worried about a situation where some young kid would ask 'Granny, what is "Durex"?'
>
> Legal and suitable for polite conversation are not the same thing.

What is impolite about contraceptives ? Great opportunity to start
non-hunguppedness for a child .

geoff
alister
2018-02-13 15:12:32 UTC
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 02:30:23 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 1:06:26 PM UTC+3, alister wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 23:34:54 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

>> > I vaguely remember the team agreeing to paint over the word at one
>> > race.
>> > It was a wet race, and the paint was not very waterproof...
>>
>> why on earth would anyone have had an issue with sticky tape anyway ;-)
>
> Or any other lawful product.
>
> If you know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then
> you'll think nothing of it.

obviously not enough Ausies here (I am lead to believe that Durex is the
Australian equivalent of selotape/scotch tape)

I have more hit points that you can possible imagine.
~misfit~
2018-02-13 23:56:42 UTC
Once upon a time on usenet alister wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 02:30:23 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

>>> why on earth would anyone have had an issue with sticky tape anyway
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Or any other lawful product.
>>
>> If you know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then
>> you'll think nothing of it.
>
> obviously not enough Ausies here

> (I am lead to believe that Durex is
> the Australian equivalent of selotape/scotch tape)

It must have been an old Aussie https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Durex who
lead you to belive that.

alister
2018-02-14 12:52:04 UTC
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:56:42 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Once upon a time on usenet alister wrote:

>>> Or any other lawful product.
>>>
>>> If you know what it is then you know what it is. If you don't then
>>> you'll think nothing of it.
>>
>> obviously not enough Ausies here

>> (I am lead to believe that Durex is the Australian equivalent of
>> selotape/scotch tape)
>
> It must have been an old Aussie https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Durex who
> lead you to belive that.

Actually British comedian Jasper Carrot who ha a whole routine based on
it (including TV refusing to show the car)

--
The primary requisite for any new tax law is for it to exempt enough
voters to win the next election.
keithr0
2018-02-15 10:11:48 UTC
On 2/12/2018 6:46 PM, Sir Tim wrote:
> <***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> In 2008 the Super Aguri team were sunk when a major sponsor defaulted on
>> payments- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_Group_Oil_%26_Gas_Company
>>
>> I remember John Surtees saying the same about his team.
>>
>> (The story goes that going into the 1979 season a sponsor promised money
>> but not upfront - money which Surtees then spent upfront though. The
>> sponsor defaulted leaving the team with a built car for 1979 but no money
>> to run it - he tried to sue but simply broke even - i.e. he still didn't
>> get the money but didn't lose any either by him going to court in the first place)
>>
>> He never named the sponsor in interviews etc (and neither does Wikipedia
>> etc) - I know that 3 sponsors he had in the 1970's were Brooke-Bond, Beta
>> Tools, and Durex - but who defaulted on payment and wrecked his team?
>>
> The Durex sponsorship certainly attracted a lot of publicity. Whether this
> was good or bad for the sponsor I’m not sure but I seem to remember that
> Aunty BBC refused to show the Surtees cars.

It would have been OK in Australia at the time because that was a brand
of sticky tape which caused a good deal of confusion among British
migrants :)
Brian W Lawrence
2018-02-12 16:11:38 UTC
On 11/02/2018 16:58, ***@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> In 2008 the Super Aguri team were sunk when a major sponsor defaulted on payments- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_Group_Oil_%26_Gas_Company
>
> I remember John Surtees saying the same about his team.
>
> (The story goes that going into the 1979 season a sponsor promised money but not upfront - money which Surtees then spent upfront though. The sponsor defaulted leaving the team with a built car for 1979 but no money to run it - he tried to sue but simply broke even - i.e. he still didn't get the money but didn't lose any either by him going to court in the first place)
>
> He never named the sponsor in interviews etc (and neither does Wikipedia etc) - I know that 3 sponsors he had in the 1970's were Brooke-Bond, Beta Tools, and Durex - but who defaulted on payment and wrecked his team?

I'm not sure that is entirely correct.

Surtees began 1978 with Brambilla (19) & Keegan (18) driving TS19s.
Brambilla's car was sponsored by Beta Tools, while Keegan's was Durex,
and also British Air Ferries, who sponsored Keegan only. During the
season the team built 3 new TS20 chassis - 01 for Brambilla at MON,
02 for Keegan at BEL.

During the morning warm up at Zandvoort Keegan injured his wrist and
was unable to start. In the next race at Monza Carlo Franchi (aka
'Gimax') replaced Keegan in a new chassis 03 - used in practice at 3
previous GPs. Brambilla was seriously injured in the first lap accident.

For the final two races Beppe Gabbiani drove the #19 Brambilla car,
with Rene Arnoux in the #18 (03).

Team Surtees were going to continue in 1979 with the 3 TS20s, and in
fact, all 3 raced in 1979 in the Aurora AFX British F1 Championship.

As I understand it the money was required to hire a clear #1 driver, but
wasn't available in time for that, with (possibly) Arnoux leaving to
join Renault. The money, apparently, did eventually materialise, but too
late to rescue the team. Surtees announced their withdrawal 17 Nov 1978.

Since Brambilla was unable to race in 1980 and Keegan had been
lacklustre it seems likely that both Beta Tools & BAF may have wanted to
terminate their sponsorship.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-13 03:05:35 UTC
On Sunday, 11 February 2018 18:58:50 UTC+2, ***@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> In 2008 the Super Aguri team were sunk when a major sponsor defaulted on payments- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_Group_Oil_%26_Gas_Company
>
> I remember John Surtees saying the same about his team.
>
> (The story goes that going into the 1979 season a sponsor promised money but not upfront - money which Surtees then spent upfront though. The sponsor defaulted leaving the team with a built car for 1979 but no money to run it - he tried to sue but simply broke even - i.e. he still didn't get the money but didn't lose any either by him going to court in the first place)
>
> He never named the sponsor in interviews etc (and neither does Wikipedia etc) - I know that 3 sponsors he had in the 1970's were Brooke-Bond, Beta Tools, and Durex - but who defaulted on payment and wrecked his team?

TBF, the Surtees team was often financially stretched, and almost from the start of their F1 effort they needed pay drivers.