Intrusive halo
2018-03-23 09:45:10 UTC
I don’t think the halo interferes too much with the external appearance of
this year’s cars but I’ve just been watching FP1 and it certainly ruins the
in-car shots (one of my favourite features). Shots from the airbox camera
aren’t too bad but those from the side camera are almost completely
obscured by the halo.
DumbedDownUSA
2018-03-23 10:06:09 UTC
I don’t think the halo interferes too much with the external
appearance of this year’s cars but I’ve just been watching FP1 and it
certainly ruins the in-car shots (one of my favourite features).
Shots from the airbox camera aren’t too bad but those from the side
camera are almost completely obscured by the halo.
Perhaps they will specify an integral halo camera in the next spec.
Great position for a camera.
--
Trump averages six falsehoods a day; how you doin'?
Moderate! an unwitting ignorant cowardly racist and proud of it.
Dense, if you are reading this you lied.
D Munz
2018-03-23 12:03:53 UTC
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Perhaps they will specify an integral halo camera in the next spec.
Great position for a camera.
That is actually a great idea. They could mount it right on the front to give a "driver's eye" view.

I also like Seb's idea about allowing the driver to customize the halo. I wonder if any of their helmet sponsorship deals are impacted by the loss of visibility on-track to the driver's head from the halo.

I don't see why they can't customise the halo. They can't change the structure or the mountings, but they can shroud it and they can make it any colour they like - or put logos on it.
m***@gmail.com
2018-03-23 12:05:14 UTC
I don’t think the halo interferes too much with the external appearance of
this year’s cars but I’ve just been watching FP1 and it certainly ruins the
in-car shots (one of my favourite features). Shots from the airbox camera
aren’t too bad but those from the side camera are almost completely
obscured by the halo.
The problem is that the camera positions are fixed in the rules. Clearly nobody thought to draw some lines and figure out what the cameras were likely to see with the halo fitted and then decided on new camera positions.

AIUI, the camera positions have to be fixed by end June of the previous year, though there is a provision for a change if all teams agree. But somebody will have spent gazillions of hours fine honing an aero package with the camera housings as per the rules and will not want to change now because of costs.

Anybody watch the opening IndyCar race? They had great camera shots. Including a nose cone camera and a helmet cam on some drivers (I presume they draw lots). They've got it thought out. New aero regs this year, and the camera positions are worked out to suit the new regs.
M2T

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/halo-onboard-tv-fix-rulebook-1017810/
Mark Jackson
2018-03-23 13:20:15 UTC
The FIA fucked up
Inconceivable!
How many foxes does it take before a henhouse
becomes a foxhouse? - Charles P. Pierce
M2T
2018-03-23 13:32:13 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by M2T
The FIA fucked up
Inconceivable!
The did conceive, every one a bastard.
build
2018-03-23 15:34:28 UTC
I don’t think the halo interferes too much with the external appearance of
this year’s cars but I’ve just been watching FP1 and it certainly ruins the
in-car shots (one of my favourite features). Shots from the airbox camera
aren’t too bad but those from the side camera are almost completely
obscured by the halo.
During testing the T camera on the top of the airbox appeared the same on all cars but they tried 3 or more different cameras on the side of the airbox. Ham ran the big type on Friday, Stroll had the small one and the shot from that was broadcast. Didn't notice the other types. One of them is the panning camera but haven't seen them broadcast that yet.

beers,
build
FB
2018-03-24 00:37:31 UTC