Pit babes / grid girls axed for 2018 F1 season onwards
Ar
2018-01-31 14:49:34 UTC
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Darryl Johnson
2018-01-31 15:07:43 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Good for them. Outdated, sexist and totally unnecessary. Lining the
corridor to the cool-down room to clap while the drivers walk through.
Really? Really?!!

OK, maybe it's helpful to have someone holding up a placard with the
driver's name on it when they first grid. Although they certainly seem
to find their way to the correct spot after the warmup lap without the
grid girls.

And I'm sure sponsors like to see as many people as possible wearing
their logos. Although, God knows, there are enough signs and decals
and logos all over the place as it is.
bra
2018-01-31 19:23:18 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Good for them. Outdated, sexist and totally unnecessary.
Hot debate in the offing, but I agree with Darryl.

I've had the good fortune that my wife and daughter (and sister) all enjoy motor sport, but they are visibly embarrassed by the 'burlesque' nonsense, and by the comments around us that it generates. It may actually discourage young women from forming an attachment to our sport.

It is especially noticeable --- and reveals itself as ridiculous -- when "grid girls" interact with women and children:
http://www.oldstox.com/images/Nonsense%202.pdf
bra
2018-01-31 21:58:12 UTC
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 11:23:19 AM UTC-8, bra wrote:

NHRA's top fuel champion for 2017 was Brittany Force: university degree, professional racer with a full team, and her race tasks include:

Interviews with female racers present very cautious 'personal opinions' as regards models and grid girls. Publicly, Brittany would smile and shrug and say 'part of the job. But it's hard to imagine any woman competitor positively enjoying the spectacle and the overheard comments.
Edmund
2018-02-01 08:19:20 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Good for them. Outdated, sexist and totally unnecessary.
Hot debate in the offing, but I agree with Darryl.
I've had the good fortune that my wife and daughter (and sister) all enjoy motor sport, but they are visibly embarrassed
Maybe the word you're looking for is jealous. :-)

Edmund
FB
2018-01-31 18:30:34 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
soon the PC crowd will make anyone whoŽs not LGBTAWTF a second class
citizen...

FB
geoff
2018-01-31 19:07:32 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
soon the PC crowd will make anyone who´s not LGBTAWTF a second class
citizen...
FB
No, just the same class as everybody else.

Thanks. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Ar
Any straight guys left in the FIA?
m***@gmail.com
Amazingly, the one concerned citizen who could provide an authoritative, though perhaps not erudite answer to that question has yet to show himself here.
fnot
Heavy on the WTF.
keithr0
Maybe he would prefer pit boys.
m***@gmail.com
2018-01-31 19:11:38 UTC
Good. The times have changed, and there's no reason why a high profile sport, beamed around the world every fortnight shouldn't change as women get more equal treatment.
bra
2018-01-31 19:29:26 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Good. The times have changed, and there's no reason why a high profile sport, beamed around the world every fortnight shouldn't change as women get more equal treatment.
In this linked photograph, the competing man could easily bus to work, do his job, go shopping on the way home, and sit down to dinner or go out, while wearing this same outfit. He skates very effectively in these clothes.

His companion skater ---- well, go through the same scenario.

2018-01-31 20:52:36 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Good. The times have changed, and there's no reason why a high
profile sport, beamed around the world every fortnight shouldn't
change as women get more equal treatment.
Sorry, do you mean more women are going to drive, get jobs in teams or
just be thrown off the grid?

Perhaps you would also like them to take the sanitary towel machines
out of restrooms and install urinals.
bra
2018-01-31 21:37:27 UTC
Sorry, do you mean more women are going to drive, get jobs in teams or
just be thrown off the grid?
Relax.
Achieving equity will NOT require grids to have baby-oiled 'grid men' wearing.

Equity will denote event-hired men and women wearing non-offensive outfits. Can't see a problem with that.

Maybe Indy and NASCAR will desist from their bombastic aerial displays of lethal military might ----- nah, never happen.
Hey, 'bombastic' was pretty neat, eh?
Bigbird
say me fantastic
Bigbird
2018-01-31 20:58:56 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
I don't think this was an FIA decision else it say ALL FIA motorsport
events.

I hope they have found alternative employment for the girls so they
won't have to turn to porn or prostitution... both of which I guess
count as more equality employers as they actually employ both sexes...
Calum
2018-02-02 13:33:21 UTC
I hope they have found alternative employment for the girls so they
won't have to turn to porn or prostitution... both of which I guess
count as more equality employers as they actually employ both sexes...
They're professional models. You really think this was the only gig they
had, or could get?
DumbedDownUSA
2018-02-02 16:44:57 UTC
Post by Calum
Post by Bigbird
I hope they have found alternative employment for the girls so they
won't have to turn to porn or prostitution... both of which I guess
count as more equality employers as they actually employ both sexes...
They're professional models. You really think this was the only gig
they had, or could get?
No, but it was a gateway to other jobs.

It's cute that you didn't realise my comment was TIC.

But now that you bring it up, what other professional modelling jobs
are okay with you if fully dressed sponsorship jobs are a no no?
--
Trump: If there is a shutdown I think it would be a tremendously
negative mark on the president of the United States. He’s the one that
has to get people together.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-01 02:52:13 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
And here's the statement from the weirdos at F1 (not FIA)

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/1/formula-1-to-stop-using-grid-girls-.html

Note the new policy applies to all races involved in a Grand Prix weekend.

The statement is quite specific, and seems to apply to the grid only.

It also sounds like they're creating space for sponsors: "Formula 1 considers the time spent by teams and drivers on the grid before a race as one of celebration, where guests and various performers can add to the glamour and spectacle of the Grand Prix, enabling promoters and partners to showcase their countries and products."

I don't see anything here that says that teams and sponsors can't drape scantily clad women all over their own hospitality areas. It would also leave room for Heineken to corner the market on the women who clap the men onto the podium.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-02 07:15:02 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
The statement is quite specific, and seems to apply to the grid only.
It also sounds like they're creating space for sponsors: "Formula 1 considers the time spent by teams and drivers on the grid before a race as one of celebration, where guests and various performers can add to the glamour and spectacle of the Grand Prix, enabling promoters and partners to showcase their countries and products."
I don't see anything here that says that teams and sponsors can't drape scantily clad women all over their own hospitality areas. It would also leave room for Heineken to corner the market on the women who clap the men onto the podium.
As I have mentioned previously, a woman friend of mine used to be a marshal, quite a senior marshal, and her history includes being chief grid marshal at more than one US GP.

She made a comment to me that when she was on the grid, she was in overalls and anyway she doesn't have the looks that the grid girls have, but she was always shocked at the cat calling that was coming from the grandstands to the grid girls, and so she's very glad that this so-called tradition has been done away with, because women were getting some very uncouth treatment from spectators.

I also recall reading last year about the grid girls at Austin and the selection processes and the way the events are run. What was not said overtly but became clear was that they have to be chaperoned everywhere because at some point, some manly man type is going to make a pass or start propositioning.

There are men who cannot control themselves. Not a majority, though reading some of the comments on various F1 forums makes me wonder, but it's a problem.

Not just for F1! There was recently an international cricket match in NZ at which a woman was groped. When she protested she was called a dyke. The gropers then decided to have a go at the visiting team - Pakistan. Sexism, racism and homophobia all together.

My late brother in law was a rugby fan. The first time he took his son to a match, he spent nearly the entire time with his hands over the kid's ears because of the abuse that was being hurled at the visiting team and at the match officials. He didn't got to another match for some years, stayed at home and watched them on TV.

This is toxic masculinity. It's a high profile problem right now, and we should not be surprised to see these sort of restrictions introduced because people (not all of them, but enough of them) cannot control themselves and behave appropriately.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-01 05:19:59 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
How much difference does this actually make? Unless I watch Brundle's grid walk I don't get an opportunity to see the grid girls, and even then the grid is so packed that most of the time you can't see much except the backs of people wearing overalls, plugging computers into stuff.

Until we started talking about this late last year, I had no idea that the grid girls at Austin had as much showing as they did last year.

I think unless you are the race and can get onto the grid, or get into an expensive hospitality suite, you won't get much of a look at the grid girls anyway.

Point is: I think for most of us this is not actually going to make any difference.
Brian W Lawrence
2018-02-01 15:11:01 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Does anyone know when this became a regular thing in F1?

Late 1970s perhaps? I mean the girls holding the boards with
driver number/name. Arguably there have always been F1 pit
babes.
bra
I remember a shiny black F1 car in the early Seventies that was called the "JOHN PLAYER SPECIAL", accompanied by grid girls handing out free ciggies. If you looked very closely at the car you could discern the discreet name Lotus ----. There was even an event called the JOHN PLAYER GRAND PRIX, thinly associated with the British nation ---.
Brian W Lawrence
2018-02-01 20:15:51 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Does anyone know when this became a regular thing in F1?
Late 1970s perhaps? I mean the girls holding the boards with
driver number/name. Arguably there have always been F1 pit
babes.
I remember a shiny black F1 car in the early Seventies that was called the "JOHN PLAYER SPECIAL", accompanied by grid girls handing out free ciggies. If you looked very closely at the car you could discern the discreet name Lotus ----. There was even an event called the JOHN PLAYER GRAND PRIX, thinly associated with the British nation ---.
JPS sponsored the British GP 1972-78, and I was aware that Team Lotus
had girls in JPS livery.

As far as I can tell there were no 'grid girls' for most of the 1970s,
but there were at the 1980 Brazilian GP, with Coca Cola sponsorship.

Several GPs in the early 1980s seem to have had people holding the
boards at each grid slot, but none that I've seen so far were held
by women.

Still looking.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-02 03:00:38 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
JPS sponsored the British GP 1972-78, and I was aware that Team Lotus
had girls in JPS livery.
As far as I can tell there were no 'grid girls' for most of the 1970s,
but there were at the 1980 Brazilian GP, with Coca Cola sponsorship.
Several GPs in the early 1980s seem to have had people holding the
boards at each grid slot, but none that I've seen so far were held
by women.
I was looking at old pictures last night. The 1976 British GP had loads of mechanics an other folks on the grid, but there seemed to be no need to hold up numbers or umbrellas.

I suspect this "tradition" does not actually go back to the great flood.
t***@gmail.com
2018-02-02 04:06:02 UTC
Is your gay lover obsessing over this too?
News
There have always been pit popsies, quite different from grid girls.
m***@gmail.com
2018-02-03 05:46:14 UTC
Post by Ar
The weirdos in the FIA just axed all the pit babes / grid girls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
One thing about this, it's got F1 discussion forums all lit up.

The comments are, sadly, mostly of the cringe worthy type we've had our fair share of here, suggesting that those who post them are living at least a 100 years in the past and deeply bigoted, and raising interest questions about why we watch F1 in particular and sport in general.
bra
2018-02-03 16:11:24 UTC
mega --- you are poking an ants' nest ----- be careful ;-) ;-)