Mexican GP doubt?
Brian W Lawrence
2017-09-20 11:13:45 UTC
Do we think it will still go ahead?

---
2017-09-20 18:33:26 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Do we think it will still go ahead?
My guess is that the prospects are not good. Damage is extensive, and
the circuit itself is in the zone of most powerful shaking in the Mexico
City area. Zoom in at

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000ar20#map
It is never a good idea to elect people who promise as many
as six impossible things before breakfast. - Simon Johnson
D Munz
2017-09-21 11:39:28 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Do we think it will still go ahead?
My guess is that the prospects are not good. Damage is extensive, and
the circuit itself is in the zone of most powerful shaking in the Mexico
City area. Zoom in at
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000ar20#map
It is never a good idea to elect people who promise as many
as six impossible things before breakfast. - Simon Johnson
There will probably be a big push to hold it even with limited hotels or fan presence. As a disaster relief deal, it almost becomes more important as a successful distraction than a Grand Prix.

2017-09-21 01:48:19 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Do we think it will still go ahead?
Following the 7.1-degree earthquake that struck Mexico City and
neighboring states on Tuesday, September 19, a review of the
facilities of Autodromo Hermanos Rodríguez was conducted today
through certified experts and supervisors of the site. last
remodeling to validate the state of the structures and track of the
property.
After this review no structural damages were found in the layout,
permanent stands, or in buildings such as pitbuilding, media center
and medical center, so the building is able to receive the third
edition of the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Mexico.
We united in solidarity with the national mourning decreed by the
Government of the Republic and especially with those who have lost a
loved one or had affectations in their property.
As part of the solidarity with this tragedy, the events scheduled for
this weekend will be rescheduled.
Sincerely Autodromo Hermanos Rodríguez
So the intent is there, and apparently the facilities are intact, but
there's still the matter of the surrounding infrastructure and such
(including hotels).

Original at http://www.autodromohr.com/app/n/i/17337
Dan the Man
So far, the official F1 site is not mentioning any schedule change; stay tuned.
Martin Harran
2017-09-22 21:00:12 UTC
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 12:13:45 +0100, Brian W Lawrence
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Do we think it will still go ahead?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-quake-f1/mexican-f1-track-undamaged-by-quake-race-to-go-ahead-idUSKCN1BW153

http://reut.rs/2fG8fzP

LONDON (Reuters) - Mexican Grand Prix organizers say next month’s
Formula One race in Mexico City will go ahead as planned despite the
capital being hit by its deadliest earthquake in three decades.

Marketing head Rodrigo Sanchez told reporters that the Hermanos
Rodriguez circuit in the southeast of the city was not damaged.

“It’s been inspected twice already from the track surface and also the
buildings, and it’s OK,” said Sanchez, who was in Mexico City when the
7.1 magnitude quake struck on Tuesday afternoon.

“We’ll continue doing the assessments as we go but so far there’s
really no concern (about the facilities). We’ll have a race.”
[...]