OT: Compression ignition of petrol ICEs to hit production?
2017-08-12 01:30:43 UTC
We've touched on the potenbtail benefits to thermal efficiency of the
various types of compression ignition of ICEs here in the past. I thought
there might be a few people interested in Mazdas latest announcement on the
subject. Here's John Cadogans take on it;

Several other youtube channels are also covering it as well as non-youtube
sites such as Drivetribe;
https://drivetribe.com/p/mazda-hcci-engine-eg4HHogdQg20qxRJ4e0QVA?
It seems it's a response to certain countries saying they will abandon ICEs
in the near future. I just hope that Mazda aren't rushing to production in
response and that the production model will be all that they're promising.

Just FYI.

My thoughts are that historically HCCI petrol ICEs have a limited rev range
in which they'll work relieably. Mazda are saying they have a hybrid ICE
that does both HCCI for cruising and spark ignition for starting and
stop-start driving. I was thinking that, with the advances in CVT
transmission and even petrol / electric hybridisatio*n a lot of the problems
with having the ICE running over a wide rev range could be overcome by using
electric power for stop-start driving and only using the ICE / CVT once the
vechicle is up to speed (also using the ICE running in it's sweet-spot and
regenerative braking for recharging the energy store).

* Perhaps even with a modification after the style of diesel / electric
trains, using the electric part of the drivetrain as the CVT 'buffer'?

There's also an advantage of using the above method of overcoming HCCI ICE
limitations in that such a vehicle might be allowed to be sold in countries
who are ruling out the use of pure-ICE vehicles after a certain date.

2017-08-12 02:01:00 UTC
http://youtu.be/WBkfOUaEcWM
[...]
blow me