OT: Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin
2017-05-15 11:04:42 UTC
The recent thread about Brooklands reminded me of the driver from whom I
take my nym:

"Amongst all Brooklands habitués of the 1920-30s, perhaps the most
glamorous and charismatic of all the historic Motor Course’s racing
celebrities was the diminutive Bentley-driving Baronet, Sir Henry Ralph
Stanley “Tim” Birkin. He combined his “Bentley Boy” high-society image
with a fearless driving talent. For an entire generation of British
motor racing enthusiasts, “Tiger Tim’s” militarily-moustachioed,
be-goggled figure, in his neat wind cap, often with a polka-dot scarf
fluttering in the slipstream, personified an English ideal.

This so-British hero became the absolute epitome of Imperial power,
speed and daring… But “Tim” Birkin in truth embodied far more than mere
celebrity just flirting with motor racing. He was in fact intensely
competitive, a born sportsman who relished racing for racing’s sake,
dedicated to maximizing his chances on track, and committed
whole-heartedly to making the absolute most of whatever natural talent
he possessed."

During the Tripoli Grand Prix of 1933 Birkin burnt his arm on the hot
exhaust of his Maserati. The burn turned septic and, without the benefit
of antibiotics in those days of course, he died aged only 36.

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
bra
2017-05-15 15:42:22 UTC
The recent thread about Brooklands reminded me of the driver from whom I
Oh, we were all dreaming that you were closely related to Jane Birkin ------------
bra
2017-05-15 15:47:52 UTC
The recent thread about Brooklands reminded me of the driver from whom I
Seriously, 'cos you know history: is it true that after Richard Seaman's death in a Mercedes, the factory continued to have flowers delivered to his grave in Putney Vale every year, including during wartime and long after?
Mark Jackson
2017-05-15 15:52:30 UTC
The recent thread about Brooklands reminded me of the driver from whom I
Seriously, 'cos you know history: is it true that after Richard
Seaman's death in a Mercedes, the factory continued to have flowers
delivered to his grave in Putney Vale every year, including during
wartime and long after?
This fellow's research suggests so, although Mercedes denies it:

https://scarfandgoggles.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/the-mystery-of-seamans-grave/
Any chief-of-staff who isn’t prepared to confiscate
Trump’s Android, delete his Twitter account, and crush
sedatives into his food will fail to produce order.
- Eric Levitz
bra
Thanks very much; this is the first seemingly well researched piece I have read!
Sir Tim
2017-05-16 08:01:34 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
The recent thread about Brooklands reminded me of the driver from whom I
Seriously, 'cos you know history: is it true that after Richard
Seaman's death in a Mercedes, the factory continued to have flowers
delivered to his grave in Putney Vale every year, including during
wartime and long after?
https://scarfandgoggles.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/the-mystery-of-seamans-grave/
A fascinating article. Thanks Mark.