Usenet and ip addresses?
2017-09-04 17:31:14 UTC
I have zero IT knowledge. On a political group I expressed a strong opinion, and straight away another poster told me to die [plus the usual obscentities], and printed my local "provider/host" name and address etc, for all to see.

Am I at any kind of risk?
.
2017-09-04 17:36:47 UTC
I have zero IT knowledge. On a political group I expressed a strong opinion, and straight away another poster told me to die [plus the usual obscentities], and printed my local "provider/host" name and address etc, for all to see.
Posting host
https://www.whois.com/whois/24.207.110.12
Post by bra
Am I at any kind of risk?
No.
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
bra
2017-09-04 17:49:43 UTC
Post by .
Post by bra
I have zero IT knowledge. On a political group I expressed a strong opinion, and straight away another poster told me to die [plus the usual obscentities], and printed my local "provider/host" name and address etc, for all to see.
Posting host
https://www.whois.com/whois/24.207.110.12
Post by bra
Am I at any kind of risk?
No.
That is a TON of information ---- but you're saying that nobody can use it to get into my computer or find my own address and details?
.
2017-09-04 18:23:20 UTC
Post by bra
Am I at any kind of risk?
No.
That is a TON of information ---- but you're saying that nobody can use it to get into my computer or find my own address and details?
Not by those means alone, no.
My mirror continues its finite yet unbounded journey.
Bobster
2017-09-04 18:09:27 UTC
I have zero IT knowledge. On a political group I expressed a strong opinion, and straight away another poster told me to die [plus the usual obscentities], and printed my local "provider/host" name and address etc, for all to see.
Am I at any kind of risk?
No.

I riled some nasty racist types some years back. They tried the usual stuff - which basically amounts to a number of differing ways of saying that I am gay. Then they said they'd tracked me down and would start off by revealing the suburb in which I lived. They thought this would scare me off less they got down to street level.

They were out by 20km. They picked up the address of my ISP.

Tonight, if you worked inside my ISP and had access to data from their cell masts, you could probably get down to my street and which end of it, but some charlie reading your posts on Usenet is not going to be able to do that.
geoff
2017-09-04 20:14:58 UTC
[...]
If Texasurbate decided you were gay and found your street address, you
should start sleeping on your back !

geoff
keithr0
2017-09-05 13:26:52 UTC
[...]
Speaking of him, this is what his header give:-

https://www.speedguide.net/ip/208.94.197.79

According to the map, he lives in the middle of a lake.
alister
2017-09-05 14:45:44 UTC
Post by keithr0
[...]
Swamp would be more appropriate :-)

Interestingly he also seems to be running SSH, HTTP & HTTPS servers But I
suspect they are his router a Ubiquity AirMax
--
A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but abstention,
and especially from inactivity in the affairs of others.
2017-09-05 20:15:41 UTC
Post by keithr0
[...]
It's not a lake - it's a pool of his cum, from thinking about me.

geoff
alister
2017-09-04 22:20:07 UTC
[...]
There is a small risk if you have your router poorly configured that they
could access your home network but this would require you to have done
one or more of the following

1) enabled remote maintenance on your router (some have this on by
default so it is worth checking).

2) set-up port forwarding to one of your computers (say as a web server)

3) configured a service on your computer that can be exploited.

in any case you would be at no more risk from this bozo & would probably
already have been infected by numerous other scumbags on the net

The bozo you are dealing with almost certainly has nothing but the basic
network knowledge & is simply trying to scare you (the same tactic is
used by various sites to scare you into downloading there fake "Anti-
malware apps, don't fall for it), if he genuinely was capable of more he
probably would already have done so.
--
REST:
P: Linus Torvalds
-- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS
bra
2017-09-04 22:31:10 UTC
On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 3:20:09 PM UTC-7, alister wrote:

Thank you, everyone, for your cheering comments.

And when a nice gentleman phoned today asking for "the owner of the Windows computer, which we see is running slowly and we can help" ---- I politely said he had reached a police station and please hold on while I get the inepsector ----.
Geoff
2017-09-04 22:35:57 UTC
Thank you, everyone, for your cheering comments.
And when a nice gentleman phoned today asking for "the owner of the
Windows computer, which we see is running slowly and we can help"
---- I politely said he had reached a police station and please hold
on while I get the inepsector ----.
I often spot the odd caller ID and answer the phone "Interpol" ...... click.

2017-09-05 02:38:51 UTC
The two are probably not connected. There are varmints who cold call people saying that they have picked up a problem with an Windows computer and they can help blah blah. It's an attempt to separate you from a sum of money.
bra
2017-09-05 15:50:35 UTC
The two are probably not connected. There are varmints who cold call people saying that they have picked up a problem with an Windows computer and they can help blah blah. It's an attempt to separate you from a sum of money.
In my area there are many older retired people (me too) and the police say that the scammers target the area. I was surprised when a highly-educated professional told me that she'd received a phone call from 'an official microsoft engineer' who told her that her PC was very slow; she LET THE GUY INTO HER COMPUTER to 'make it work faster'.

But the same woman later asked my advice about an [unidentified] online man who she was cyber-chatting with, and whom she'd given her home address to, and was becoming "a bit weird" in his messages --- I was reminded once again that higher education does not grant higher wisdom.
~misfit~
2017-09-06 05:42:08 UTC
[...]
In fact IME more often than not the opposite. Thank the gods I'm (mostly) an
autodidact*! ;)

* I'm still trying to think of a witty way of entering that on faecebook.
I've recently started using it as there's illness in the family and that's
the way the rest of the clan share infos. If I didn't check there then I'd
not be in the loop. :-/

2017-09-06 05:37:50 UTC
Post by alister
[...]
More OT while we're on the subject.

Speaking of... Last year I was having trouble with my 'landline' (it's VOIP
through my fibre termination / router). It was causing the internet
connection to drop. Each time I called my ISPs helldesk I spoke to a
different flow-chart reader, half of whom were 'going to call me back'. Then
one day I noticed that the phone wasn't working at all so called them and
did the usual dance...

Turns out a setting had been altered in my router (suppied by the ISP) and I
was blamed for it - much to my annoyance. After that call was over I checked
the router settings and it'd been set back to factory defaults then a few
other changes made (the port-forwarding that I'd set up no longer worked).

That's when I realised there was a 'back door' into the damn thing so I
disabled it. I'd already changed the login and password as soon as i
connected to it but it seems that wasn't enough. Bastards never did
apologise to me for all of the fucking around and blaming me for it....

There's a lesson there. I didn't realise that was possible and thought I was
'locked down' (a little knowledge and all that) so good on ya for telling
folks about this.

~misfit~
2017-09-06 05:27:41 UTC
I have zero IT knowledge. On a political group I expressed a strong
opinion, and straight away another poster told me to die [plus the
usual obscentities], and printed my local "provider/host" name and
address etc, for all to see.
Am I at any kind of risk?
Any website you post to already gets this info and anyone with a little
knowledge of how IPs work can 'geolocate' you and give your ISPs name if the
forum / group allows poster IPs to be accessed by others. It's been that way
for a couple of decades at least.

Phil Carmody
2017-09-12 22:51:43 UTC
I have zero IT knowledge. On a political group I expressed a strong
opinion, and straight away another poster told me to die [plus the
usual obscentities], and printed my local "provider/host" name and
address etc, for all to see.
Am I at any kind of risk?
Any website you post to already gets this info and anyone with a little
knowledge of how IPs work can 'geolocate' you and give your ISPs name if the
forum / group allows poster IPs to be accessed by others. It's been that way
for a couple of decades at least.
I agree this is nothing to get particularly worried by,
unless you have reason to believe that you're being singled
out by a skilled aggressor.

For piece of mind, you (GPP) might want to try one of the
"VPN" services that are on offer. I've never used one (a
public one, that is) so can't recommend one, but if you
look for reviews, aim for the service that most seems to
be aimed at, or approved by, nerds (for example linux
users), as they tend to be more security conscious and/or
paranoid. These services will make all your connections
to the outside world (web, news, torrents, etc.) appear to
come from the VPN provider, and indistinguishable from
other users of the service, which could come from all over
the world.

Alternatives include "TOR" ("The Onion Router"), but that
might require more effort setting up.

Phil, trivially GeoIP locatable to Tallinn
--
In order for there to be rights, there must be wrongs - if you want to
get rid of wrongs, which great leaders do, you *must* get rid of rights.
bra
2017-09-12 23:10:06 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
[...]
Thank you for your trouble, Phil in Tallinn. I have copied your advice.
I visited Tallin back in 1999 when some older border officials were struggling to adapt to new freedoms, and one chap took about 30 minutes to copy out EVERY SINGLE datum in my passport, in pencil, while grimacing at me.

Interestingly, road crews were busy breaking up perfectly sound [but Soviet]concrete streets and carefully replacing them with "ancient" cobbles ---- for visitors like me. No doubt Tallinn looks more quaint-medieval today than it did in 1959.