The way things were
2018-06-28 12:28:05 UTC
If ever I needed a reminder of how much F1 has changed in my lifetime it is
this footage (which was made at just about the time I went to my first GP):

In many ways F1 has got better of course, but it doesn’t seem to be as much
*fun* as it was. But perhaps that’s just because I was young then (and not
forgetting the many, many guys who died before they were 40)
2018-06-28 16:09:58 UTC
If ever I needed a reminder of how much F1 has changed in my lifetime it is
http://youtu.be/u1_cqop3LX0
In many ways F1 has got better of course, but it doesn’t seem to be as much
*fun* as it was. But perhaps that’s just because I was young then (and not
forgetting the many, many guys who died before they were 40)
You'd not think it was the same formula. Mechanics who were mechanics.
Drivers who you could see working the car on track. Everything was so
much smaller, the teams and especially the cars.

The followup linked films were interesting too. Apparently James Garner
was a good driver. Sadly, he wasted his time earning a fortune in Hollywood.
Sir Tim
2018-06-28 19:12:05 UTC
The followup linked films were interesting too. Apparently James Garner
was a good driver. Sadly, he wasted his time earning a fortune in Hollywood.
He was, but very modest about it. We were at Brands for the GP in 1966 when
they were shooting “Grand Prix”. There was a lot of filming activity during
practice but during the race itself I happened to look round and there, a
couple of rows behind us, was the man himself, watching as an ordinary
spectator.
2018-06-28 20:05:25 UTC
The followup linked films were interesting too. Apparently James Garner
was a good driver. Sadly, he wasted his time earning a fortune in Hollywood.
He was, but very modest about it. We were at Brands for the GP in 1966 when
they were shooting “Grand Prix”. There was a lot of filming activity during
practice but during the race itself I happened to look round and there, a
couple of rows behind us, was the man himself, watching as an ordinary
spectator.
Garner and his American International Racing was an early entrant in the
Formula Continental (5000) series, running Surtees TS5s, ran competition
Corvettes, Lola T70s and Lola 162s at Daytona and Sebring.

Drivers in that series in that era included Andretti, Hobbs, Gethin,
Taylor, de Adamich, Donohue, Posey, Eaton, Bonnier, Lovely, Cannon,
Hutchison, Pease, Wietzes, Brack, Motschenbacher, Brown, Cordts, Gunn,
Adamowicz, Savage, Hansen, Dietrich, Rehl, Grable and Barr.

Very capable driver and entrant. Like Paul Newman, he enjoyed racing
more than movies, but he also knew which side of the bread was buttered.
Sir Tim
2018-06-29 07:00:42 UTC
[...]
Interesting, thanks.